Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assign colon delimited strings to variables Post 302280842 by joeyg on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 04:38:48 PM
Old 01-27-2009
Hammer & Screwdriver Here is a try...

Two raw files
Code:
> cat file151
bob:johnson:3343:bjohn@email_SB.org,bjohn@emailARG.org,3343@email.org
sol:admin:3344:sadmin@email_SB.org,sadmin@emailARG.org,3344@email.org
joe:sample:3345:jsample@email_SB.org,jsample@emailARG.org,3345@email.org
> cat file152
bob:johnson:bjohn@email_SB.org
sol:admin:3344@email.org
joe:sample:jsample@email_SB.org

Script to do what you want.
It uses variables for the filenames, to make easier to modify.

Code:
> cat make153.sh
#! /usr/bin/bash

FILE1="file151"
FILE2="file152"
FILE3="file153"

MATCH_EM="@emailARG.org"
savifs=$IFS
IFS=":"

rm ${FILE3} 2>/dev/null   #delete the file, if it exists

while read FNAME LNAME EMAIL
   do
   EMAIL1=`grep "${EMAIL}" ${FILE1} | cut -d":" -f4`
   EMAIL2=`echo ${EMAIL1} | tr "," "\n" | grep "${MATCH_EM}" `
   ID=`grep "${EMAIL}" ${FILE1} | cut -d":" -f3`

echo "${ID}:${FNAME}:${LNAME}:${EMAIL}:${EMAIL2}"
   echo "${ID}:${FNAME}:${LNAME}:${EMAIL}:${EMAIL2}" >>${FILE3}
done<${FILE2}

The output file created:
Code:
> cat file153
3343:bob:johnson:bjohn@email_SB.org:bjohn@emailARG.org
3344:sol:admin:3344@email.org:sadmin@emailARG.org
3345:joe:sample:jsample@email_SB.org:jsample@emailARG.org

Let me know if you have any questions on the coding or commands. Some of them could have been combined or simpified, but I thought keeping in this layout would make it easier for you to follow the logic.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variables with cut

I need to read a file (a list) and assign the value to a variable (for each line), I'm looping until the end of the file. My problem is, I want to assign 2 separate variables from the list. The process I'm using is: awk '{print $3}' file1 > file2 awk '{print $4}' file1 > file3 cat file2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign script parameters to variables

Hi, I have a bash script that accepts some parameters as input, like: sh script.sh first second third ..... I want to save these parameters as different variables, something like: VAR1=first VAR2=second etc I tried this, but apparently it didn't worked....... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a delimited string and assign fields to incremented variables?

How can I read a string delimited on spaces and assign the fields to incremented variables. For example: Given $exts= txt dat mov I want to read in $exts and have "txt" "dat" and "mov" assigned to incremented variables like $ext1, $ext2, etc. I would like to do this in a loop so that I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

match and assign variables

Hi guys, I'm currently writing a script for automating a FreeBSD ZFS setup (ZFSonRooT). I got stuck at one point for raidz(1,2 a.k.a raid5,6) and am in need of assistance. This is what I need. example: #!/bin/sh <- must stay sh echo -n "hdd list: " read hdd_list echo -n "hdd label list:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting tab delimited strings

hi i have a requirement to input a string to a shell script and to split the string to multiple fields, the string is copied from a row of three columns (name,age,address) in an excel sheet. the three columns (from excel) are seperated with a tab when pasted in the command prompt, but when the ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Columns in Rows delimited by a strings

Hi Gurus, I have a file that contain inventory information from someones computers: UserName domain\user1 DNSHostName machine1 Caption Microsoft Windows 7 Professional OSArchitecture 64 bits SerialNumber XXX Name HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G1 NumberOfProcessors 1 Name Intel(R)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilmore666
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A better way to assign values to variables - shell

so i've been used to doing it this way: SVAL=$(echo "7 3 2 38 3" | awk '{print $2}') 4VAL=$(echo "4:21:N:3" | awk -F":" '{print $4}') I know there's a way to do it by putting the value in an array and assigning it that way. but i'm not sure how to do it efficiently. any ideas? i dont... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Unknown Values to Variables

i have a program that spits out a certain number of values. i dont know the number of values. they can be 4, 10, 7, 20, no idea. but, i want to be able to assign each of the value returned by this program to a variable. in the latest instance, the program gave the following 6 values: 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)						     collectd							 COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)

NAME
collectd-email - Documentation of collectd's "email plugin" SYNOPSIS
# See collectd.conf(5) LoadPlugin email # ... <Plugin email> SocketGroup "collectd" SocketPerms "0770" MaxConns 5 </Plugin> DESCRIPTION
The "email plugin" opens an UNIX-socket over which one can submit email statistics, such as the number of "ham", "spam", "virus", etc. mails received/handled, spam scores and matched spam checks. This plugin is intended to be used with the Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Collectd SpamAssassin-plugin which is included in contrib/, but is of course not limited to that use. OPERATION
This plugin collects data indirectly by providing a UNIX-socket that external programs can connect to. A simple line based protocol is used to communicate with the plugin: o E-Mail type (e.g. "ham", "spam", "virus", ...) and size (bytes): e:<type>:<size> If "size" is less than or equal to zero, "size" is ignored. o Spam score: s:<value> o Successful spam checks (e.g. "BAYES_99", "SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_C", ...): c:<type1>[,<type2>,...] Each line is limited to 256 characters (including the newline character). Longer lines will be ignored. SEE ALSO
collectd(1), collectd.conf(5) AUTHOR
The "email plugin" has been written by Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org>. The SpamAssassin-plugin has been written by Alexander Wirt <formorer at formorer.de>. This manpage has been written by Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org>. 5.1.0 2012-04-02 COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)