Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remove dash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove dash Post 302280132 by melanie_pfefer on Monday 26th of January 2009 05:02:35 AM
Old 01-26-2009
remove dash

hi

I am using ksh

#A="abc-def"
#typeset -u B="$A"
#echo $B
ABC-DEF

how to remove the dash?
i.e.
ABCDEF?

thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-dash options

I need to create a file that accepts arguments and options, and the options have to allow for single-dash options (-abc) and double-dash options (--help). What is the best way to do this? Getopt(s) is great for single-dash, but chokes on double-dash. Do I really need to save the arguments to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dash after ampersant

Hi! I'm new in these forums and more or less new with Unix. So... here is the question: does anyone know where is redirected the output of a command when you put >&- after it? Does it means any standard file descriptor? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ignoring a dash in file name

so i have a simple file called -x and i need it renamed to x now i dont understand why when using the most basic methods, only the code mv ./-x x changes the file name while using any other type of escape characters around the dash, such as single/double quotations or backslash, doesnt. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LumpSum
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate string containing a leading dash?

Is there a way to concatenate two strings, where the first string is "-n" and there is a space between the "-n" and the second string? Below are some examples of what I tried. #!/bin/sh var1=test #working without dashes: var2="n $var1" echo $var2 var2=n" "$var1 echo $var2 var2="n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exclude dash (-) from word separators in vi

vi uses dash and space as word separators. is there any way to exclude dash from word separators ? This is required to work with the symbols generated by ctags exe. when symbol contain a "-" ,vi tags fails to locate that even though symbol is generated properly. For example Symbol -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabhi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude dash in grep

Hi, I must be overlooking something, but I don't understand why this doesn't work. I'm trying to grep on a date, excluding all the lines starting with a dash: testfile: #2013-12-31 2013-12-31code: grep '^2013-12-31' testfileI'm expecting to see just the second line '2013-12-31' but I don't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

'time' does NOT work on a function in 'dash'.

Hi guys and gals... I am writing a piece of code that is dash compliant and came across this error. I have put it in the OSX section as that is what I am using. I have no idea what the 'dash' version is but was installed about 6 months ago. MBP, OSX 10.12.6, default terminal running dash on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)