Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl variable type assessment Post 302278693 by gehlnar on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 02:30:08 AM
Old 01-21-2009
Zaxon,

Its upto perl interpretor to decide whether variable type is floating ,integer or string.

For instance :
$i =5 ; (For perl interpreter it is a integer datatype)
$i =5.2 ; (For perl interpreter it is a floating datatype)
$i ="MY Perl" ; (For perl interpreter it is a String datatype)

So basically it is all about declaration and assigning value to scalar value will help you to understand the type of data type it is.

Cheers,
gehlnar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable type

Dear All, I am trying to write an script to calculate geometric centre of selected residues of a protein structure. Say I have a PDB file (a text containing the x, y, and z coordinates of atoms of a protein). I want to extract the X coordinates of the atoms belonging to the interested residues... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siavoush
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine file type with perl

Hello i will like to know please how can i determine file type inside perl script not using the unix "file" program Thanks allot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get type of variable in perl

hello all how can i get the type of variable in perl like typeof(var); in javascript for instance ? to know if the variable is int or string ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting type of variable

Hello: Is there any way to tell the type of a passed or entered variable, if it is a string or integer,...etc. Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use perl to get file type ?

Can anybody please tell me how can I determine whether a file is SYMBOLIC LINK, using the stat() function ? So far I have this: my @attrs = stat($fileName); my $mode = $attrs; What next ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl data type checking

I am using perl 5.8.0. I need to check some values to see it they are floats. Our system does not have Data::Types so I can't use is_float. Is there something else that I can use? The only thing in Data is Dump.pm. I am not allowed to download anything to our system so I have to use what I have.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
3 Replies

7. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the default return type of localtime() in perl?

Hi, I have given like this to get the time of the sub routine. my $start = localtime(); print "\n start time: $start \n"; Output start time: Fri Apr 29 01:01:31 2011 I want to know what is the format of the time. I am not able to follow is is HH:MM:SS or MM:HH:SS os... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is a type of this variable?

I have a question about the type of this variable checkU= sudo cat /etc/passwd: grep $uname: wc -l I write a script to check the existent of username that get from the keyboard. If there is no username,it will create the username else it show the 'Duplicate name" message. The problem is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
4 Replies

10. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies
XS(3)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						     XS(3)

NAME
Readonly::XS - Companion module for Readonly.pm, to speed up read-only scalar variables. VERSION
This document describes version 1.05 of Readonly::XS, February 24, 2009. SYNOPSIS
Install this module, but do not use it. DESCRIPTION
The Readonly module (q.v.) is an effective way to create non-modifiable variables. However, it's relatively slow. The reason it's slow is that is implements the read-only-ness of variables via tied objects. This mechanism is inherently slow. Perl simply has to do a lot of work under the hood to make tied variables work. This module corrects the speed problem, at least with respect to scalar variables. When Readonly::XS is installed, Readonly uses it to access the internals of scalar variables. Instead of creating a scalar variable object and tying it, Readonly simply flips the SvREADONLY bit in the scalar's FLAGS structure. Readonly arrays and hashes are not sped up by this, since the SvREADONLY flag only works for scalars. Arrays and hashes always use the tie interface. Why implement this as a separate module? Because not everyone can use XS. Not everyone has a C compiler. Also, installations with a statically-linked perl may not want to recompile their perl binary just for this module. Rather than render Readonly.pm useless for these people, the XS portion was put into a separate module. Programs that you write do not need to know whether Readonly::XS is installed or not. They should just "use Readonly" and let Readonly worry about whether or not it can use XS. If the Readonly::XS is present, Readonly will be faster. If not, it won't. Either way, it will still work, and your code will not have to change. Your program can check whether Readonly.pm is using XS or not by examining the $Readonly::XSokay variable. It will be true if the XS module was found and is being used. Please do not change this variable. EXPORTS None. SEE ALSO
Readonly.pm AUTHOR
/ COPYRIGHT Eric Roode, roode@cpan.org Copyright (c) 2003-2009 by Eric J. Roode. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. To avoid my spam filter, please include "Perl", "module", or this module's name in the message's subject line, and/or GPG-sign your message. perl v5.16.3 2009-02-24 XS(3)