Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to create a script to show what files in what folders Post 302278472 by kumaran21 on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 10:06:38 AM
Old 01-20-2009
Hi guys,

First of all I would like to apologize for not replying to your posts, I have been away on holiday then went for a training session.

cfajohnson, I tried your script and it listed all files in each folder horizontally line by line.

Perhaps I should explain further how I need the file formatted. Below is the script I use to generate a file called output.xls.

DAY=`TZ=MYT+16 date '+%b'`
DAY1=`TZ=MYT+16 date '+%e'`
ls -ltr /bscswork_bi2/WORK/UMOBILE/IR/IN/ALL/PROCESSED | grep "$DAY $DAY1" | awk '{print $9}' | sort | cut -c3-7 > output1
ls -ltr /bscswork_bi2/WORK/UMOBILE/IR/IN/ALL/PROCESSED | grep "$DAY $DAY1" | awk '{print $9}' | sort | cut -c13-17 > output2
paste output1 output2 > output.xls
rm output1 output2

This is how the output.xls looks like (partial file).

AREDU 772
AREDU 773
AREDU 774
ARM05 17
AUSOP 251
AZEAC 51
AZEAF 264
AZEAF 265
AZEAF 266
AZEAF 267
BELKO 172
BGDAK 258
BGDWT 199
BGRVA 745
BRNBR 186
BRNDS 79
CYPSC 129
CYPSC 130
DZAA1 16
ESPRT 55
ESTRE 308
ESTRE 309

There are identical directory name but the file sequence differ in the above example.

And this is how I would like the output.xls file to look like.

AREDU 772, 773, 774
ARM05 17
AUSOP 251
AZEAC 51
AZEAF 264, 265, 266, 267
BELKO 172
BGDAK 258
BGDWT 199
BGRVA 745
BRNBR 186
BRNDS 79
CYPSC 129, 130
DZAA1 16
ESPRT 55
ESTRE 308, 309

Is there a way I could accomplish this. Please advice.

Thank you all for your assistance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move files to 3 different folders

Hi guys: I've got this problem, I want to move a bunch of files to 3 different folders, without any specific order, and I'm trying to automatize it with a shell script. I'm a newbie at shell scripting so this is my first try: #!/bin/bash COUNTER=`ls -1 | wc -l` while do ARRAY=(... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretchedmike
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to arrange files into several folders

Hello this is the script Im working on I have a picture collection that I rescued from a hard drive and there are thousands of pictures saved in one folder. What I need is to create several folders and put lets say around 200 pictures in each folder. At the end instead of having one huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some manipulations with files and folders. (loop, find, create and remove)

Hello! I need to realize such task. 1. In my user's home dir I have folder1; 2. In folder1 I have some (various count) subfolders with random names; 3. In these subfolders I have one file anyname.pdf (various name in each subfolder) and file content.txt (constant name in each subfolder) ##... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to create folders

hi again, having an issue with the code here because it doesnt work :D can someone point what and how to change, please. #!/bin/bash #create directory mylabs, inside create 6 directories named by user. DIR1="$1" DIR2="$2" if ; then echo -n " there is a folder named mylabs, what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me.
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent- shell script to create sub folders

Hi All, Could any one help me with a shell script which will create different sub folders in a folder and of which the sub folders names should be taken from a text file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files in multiple folders

Hello all, I would appreciate any help to write a script. I have folder A which contains over 30 thousands xml files, I would like create multiple folders and move those files (500 in each folders). Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmsiddig
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete folders and files from a prompt

Hi Everyone, I work for GE Money IVR as a DB analyst and the environment on which I work is Solaris 5.0 server and Oracle 11g. I got a project in which I have to clean up the folders and files which are not used in DB. I copied an existing script and edited it, dont know this is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: habeeb506
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)