Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers saving command output to a variable Post 302278462 by philjo on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 09:39:29 AM
Old 01-20-2009
I get this error message:
syntax error at line 4: `var1=' unexpected

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output to a variable.

With cut -c 8-13 myfile, I am getting some numeric value. In my shell script I am trying to assign something like this, var=cut -c 8-13 myfile But at the time of execution I am getting -c is not found. If I dont assign, then script executes well. Can we not simply use the value from one... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable

Hi, I'm trying to assign the output of a command to a variable and then concat it with another string, however, it keeps overwriting the original string instead of adding on to the end of the string. Contents of test.txt --> This is a test var1="`head -n 1 test.txt`" echo $var1 (This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oma04
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

4. Programming

Command output into a variable

Hi, with this command: cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > name.txt I put the output of the port in a txt Is posible to do the same (or similar) in a var directly, inside a C program? cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > variable ? I have trying this withs pipes, but i dont know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daaran
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble saving variable

Hi, I have problems when you save a variable of a command. I have put the following line: CONEXION_BAGDAD = $ (grep-c "Please login with USER and PASS" $ LOG_FILE_BAGDAD) But I returned the following error: syntax error at line 67: `CONEXION_BAGDAD = $ 'unexpected Because it can happen?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a temporary output within a script

Good morning everyone, i am looking to know how to save the output of a command and reuse it again within a script i already tired this one but it didn't work TEMPDIR=/dir1/dir2 My_command> $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE rm $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE* it keeps saying "cannot write to a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving output from bash into a file

I am ssh to many servers to get some information... however sometimes the server is unreacheable and i am getting an error. I want to save that output to a file but I am not able to do so... I want to be able to save output of bash into a file.. so when I run this command on a script ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command is saving output as blank file

Hi, I am working on a script where I am adding adding colors to few of the info in the output. Now , after that is done , I see colour codes in log files which I don't want to see.:mad::mad::mad::mad: So , I tried using sed command in script as below which gives me o/p (new.log) as blank file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dream4649
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving Mod in a variable

Hello Experts, In one of my shell script, I've been trying to calculate mod and saving it in a variable, below is what I have tried but it isn't working. Any help appreciated!!! #!/bin/bash num1=4 num2=3 echo "Number one is $num1" echo "Number two is $num2" mod_final=$(( echo "num1%num2"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
7 Replies
IPCRM(1)							   User Commands							  IPCRM(1)

NAME
ipcrm - remove a message queue, semaphore set or shared memory id SYNOPSIS
ipcrm [options] ipcrm {shm|msg|sem} id... DESCRIPTION
ipcrm removes System V interprocess communication (IPC) objects and associated data structures from the system. In order to delete such objects, you must be superuser, or the creator or owner of the object. System V IPC objects are of three types: shared memory, message queues, and semaphores. Deletion of a message queue or semaphore object is immediate (regardless of whether any process still holds an IPC identifier for the object). A shared memory object is only removed after all currently attached processes have detached (shmdt(2)) the object from their virtual address space. Two syntax styles are supported. The old Linux historical syntax specifies a three letter keyword indicating which class of object is to be deleted, followed by one or more IPC identifiers for objects of this type. The SUS-compliant syntax allows the specification of zero or more objects of all three types in a single command line, with objects speci- fied either by key or by identifier. (See below.) Both keys and identifiers may be specified in decimal, hexadecimal (specified with an initial '0x' or '0X'), or octal (specified with an initial '0'). OPTIONS
-M, --shmem-key shmkey removes the shared memorysegment created with shmkey after the last detach is performed. -m, --shmem-id shmid removes the shared memory segment identified by shmid after the last detach is performed. -Q, --queue-key msgkey removes the message queue created with msgkey. -q, --queue-id msgid removes the message queue identified by msgid. -S, --semaphore-key semkey removes the semaphore created with semkey. -s, --semaphore-id semid removes the semaphore identified by semid. -a, --all [shm msg sem] Remove all resources. When option argument is provided the removal is performed only to for the specified resource types. Warning! Do not use -a if you are unsure how the software using resources might react on missing objects. Some programs create these resources at start up and may not have any code to deal unexpected disappearance. The details of the removes are described in msgctl(2), shmctl(2), and semctl(2). The identifiers and keys may be found by using ipcs(1). NOTES
In its first Linux implementation, ipcrm used the deprecated syntax shown in the SYNOPSIS. Functionality present in other *nix implementa- tions of ipcrm has since been added, namely the ability to delete resources by key (not just identifier), and to respect the same command- line syntax. For backward compatibility the previous syntax is still supported. SEE ALSO
ipcs(1), ipcmk(1), msgctl(2), msgget(2), semctl(2), semget(2), shmctl(2), shmdt(2), shmget(2), ftok(3) AVAILABILITY
The ipcrm command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 IPCRM(1)