Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex & grep-foo
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex & grep-foo Post 302277970 by DoneWithM$ on Monday 19th of January 2009 02:28:14 AM
Old 01-19-2009
Regex & grep-foo

I need a way to grep -v a list of times/date from the output of postqueue -p that are a few hours old, in order to remove them with postsuper -d.

Right now I have a script that is deleting the previous day of messages left in the queue, which runs once each day.

I want to clean up the job and delete every message more than X hours old, every hour.

Right now I'm running :
postqueue -p | grep $(date --date=yesterday +"%a %b") | cut -d" " -f1 | postsuper -d -

Which simply finds the day and month of the message eg."Sun Jan". Ugly, but functional.

The messages are tagged with "DAY MONTH TIME(HH:MM:SS)". How do I go about selecting all the ones that are older than X hours?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find directories not containing foo, and copy foo to them

Hello all, I have a situation where I have a web root directory with a few thousand users spread out into 100 subdirectories in a 00/firstname.lastname, 01/firstname.lastname, etc. hierarchy. I suddenly need to make sure that each of these user directories contains a default index.html file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkaplowitz
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with Regex help!

Hello everybody, I'd like to know how is it I should write a regex in unix to match a string not followed by another string (anywhere in the line). To be more specific, I want to find lines where "drop table" is found, but not followed anywhere in the line by the character "&". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to remove text before&&after comma chars

Hi, all: I have a question about "cleaning up" a huge file with regular expression(s) and sed: The init file goes like this: block1,blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries1,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 block2,blah-blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yomaya
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line. #!/bin/bash find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F do if ] # if the file name ends in .txt.c then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -v and regex

How to match lines that don't contain a patern in regex it self, without using the -v option of grep? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep in regex

Hello guys, Here i am writing a script in bash to check for a valid URL from a file using regex This is my input file http://www.yahoo.commmmmm http://www.google.com https://www.gooogle.co www.test6.co.in www.gmail.com www.google.co htt://www.money.com http://eeeess.google.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regex

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a grep command to match the following pattern from a file: <EGS>10234567<EGS> I used this following command to do this: grep -E '^<EGS>{8}<EGS>' test.txt In output I got: <EGS>10234567<EGS> Till now it work, but if I add something at the end of the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)