Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Does Sticky Bit works in solaris as per definition Post 302277752 by methyl on Saturday 17th of January 2009 07:26:45 PM
Old 01-17-2009
The 1777 directory should be owned by "root" in a privileged group such as "sys".
In your case the directory is owned by a normal user in group "other". Normal directory permissions apply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky bit

I have a questions, whose answer may be very obvious: Of what use is the sticky-bit permission on a Unix system? I have looked at the chmod(1) man page on our HP-UX playground system, and haven't been given much explanation: Add or delete the save-text-image-on-file- execution (sticky... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sticky bit

What command string would you use to set the sticky bit on a directory that you own? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mma_buc_98
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sticky bit

Hi frns, What is command to list out all dir's for which sticky bit has been set. Regards, Manu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manu.vmr
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Bit

Hi, could anyone please send me a link to learn/ know more about sticky bits? I am still not clear on the application of using a sticky bits. Thanks for your help. Regards, UP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teenu18
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding permision and seguid bit (sticky bit)

Hi , I am having file permision as drwxrwsr_x I kwo for deleting a file in the diretory i need w permsion as well .. Say if i am having the permsion as drwxrwsrwx - wil any one can delete the files in the directory .. And one more question what is the s doing there ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sticky Bit????

HI What is sticky bit? how can be see if the sticky bit for file is set? WHat is meaning of sticky bit set on Directory? What is the syntax to set the sticky bit? With example Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sticky Bit

I want a file I create to not be deletable by other users so I created a sticky bit by chmod 1644 on the file. chown'd it to root and then tried to delete (via GUI drag to trash and empty) as a non root user and it let me. is sticky bit only good for terminal deletes or something? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

8. AIX

Sticky Bit

What is sticky bit ...and where we aill use this.. how to set this bit in files and directories (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

9. AIX

sticky bit

as far as i understand, if sticky bit is set on a directory, the files created under tht directory cannot be deleted by ordinary user... but we can do ths by permission itself,,, tht's assign only read permission to tht dirrectory wht 's the difference? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris sticky bit

i got this archive file on sticky bit mode. somehow i could not remove the sticky bit. i could not even copy or view the view using file user account or root account. -rw-r--r-T 1 mark support 875166720 Mar 23 2005 file_mig.dat anybody encounter this type of problem? i have done running... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwagon
11 Replies
logindevperm(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)