Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to delete folder based on text file information Post 302277412 by drack on Friday 16th of January 2009 08:40:44 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Why don't you do
for $i in somefolder/*
do
case $i in
folder1|folder2|folder3)
rm -rf $i
;;
*)
;;
esac
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash snippet to find files based on a text file?

Evening all. I'm having a terrible time with a script I've been working on for a few days now... Say I have a text file named top10song.tm2, with the following in it: kernkraft 400 Imagine i kissed a girl Thriller animals hallelujah paint it black psychosocial Oi to the world... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ Charlie
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel delete based flag from text file

Hi, I need a unix shell script for this requirement and is URGENT My input text file contains A-1 B-1 C-1 D-2 E-2 F-3 G-3 H-3 I-3 J-4 K-4 L-5 My expected result should be: if flag is 1, it has to delete A, B, C if flag is 2, it has to delete D,E if flag is 3, it has to delete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moses_a
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that delete a File when a DEL File will be placed in same folder

Hi there, i have a question. I have a folder called /usr/test There is a file in it.... test.csv I need not a shell script that checks if there is a file called: test.del And if the file is in the same folder then the script should delete the test.csv and also the test.del. Hope... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bjoern28
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for new file in ftp folder

Hello, I'm trying to make a bash script that send me e-mail if there is any new file in my ftp folder. cat inotify.sh #!/bin/sh /usr/bin/inotifywait -e create \ -mrq /home/mrowcp | while read line; do echo -n "$line " >> /var/log/inotify.log echo `date | cut -d " " -f1-4` >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrowcp
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file?

I have 2 TXT files with with 8 columns in them(tab separated). First file has 2000 entries whereas 2nd file has 300 entries. The first file has ALL the lines of second file. Now I need to remove those 300 lines (which are in both files) from first file so that first file's line count become... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines from text files in folder based on the numbers in another file

Hello, I have a file ff.txt that looks as follows *ABNA.txt 356 24 36 112 *AC24.txt 457 458 321 2 ABNA.txt and AC24.txt are the files in the folder named foo1. Based on the numbers in the ff.txt file, I want to extract the lines from the corresponding files in the foo1 folder and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamad
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records based on a text file from a text file

Hi Folks, I am a novice and need to build a script in bash. I have 2 text files data.txt file is big file, column 2 is the we need to search and delete in the output. The filter file contains the rows to be deleted. Data.txt state city zone Alabama Huntsville 4 California SanDiego 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies
FLIST(1)                                                             [nmh-1.5]                                                            FLIST(1)

NAME
flist, flists - list the number of messages in given sequence(s) SYNOPSIS
flist [+folder1 [+folder2 ...]] [-sequence name1 [-sequence name2 ...]] [-all | -noall] [-showzero | -noshowzero] [-recurse | -norecurse] [-fast | -nofast] [-alpha | -noalpha] [-version] [-help] flists is equivalent to flist -all DESCRIPTION
Flist is used to search a list of folders and display the number of messages in these folders that are in a given sequence or set of sequences (for example the "unseen" sequence). This is especially useful if you use some mechanism such as slocal or procmail (typically in conjunction with rcvstore) to pre-sort your mail into different folders before you view it. By default, the command flist will search the current folder for the given sequence or sequences (usually "unseen"). If (possibly multi- ple) folders are specified on the command line with +folder, then all these folders are searched for the given sequence(s). Flist will display for each folder searched, the number of messages in each of the specified sequences, and the total number of messages. The option -sequence is used to specify the name of a sequence in which to search for. This option may be used multiple times to specify multiple sequences. If this is not given, then the default is to search for all the sequences specified by the "Unseen-Sequence" profile component. For more details about sequences, read the mh-sequence(5) man page. Typically, flist will produce a line for each sequence, for every folder that is searched, even those which do not contain any messages in the given sequence. Specifying -noshowzero will cause flist to print only those folder/sequence combinations such the folder has a non- zero number of messages in the given specified sequence. If -recurse is given, then for each folder that is search, flist will also recursively descend into those folders to search subfolders for the given sequence. If -fast is given, only the names of the folders searched will be displayed, and flist will suppress all other output. If this option is used in conjunction with -noshowzero, then flist will only print the names of those folders searched that contain messages in in at least one of the specified sequences. Multiple Folders If the option -all is given (and no folders are specified with +folder), then flist will search all the folders in the top level of the users nmh directory. These folders are all preceded by the read-only folders, which occur as "atr-cur-" entries in the user's nmh context. An example of the output of flist -all is: /work/Mail has 5 in sequence unseen (private); out of 46 inbox+ has 10 in sequence unseen ; out of 153 junklist has 0 in sequence unseen ; out of 63 postmaster has 1 in sequence unseen ; out of 3 The "+" after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The "private" flag indicates that the given sequence for that folder is private. See the mh-sequence(5) man page for details about private sequences. If the option -all and +folder are both specified, then flist will search this folder, and all its first level subfolders for the given sequence. You may specify multiple folders in this way. If flist is invoked by a name ending with "s" (e.g. flists), then the switch -all is assumed by default. The sorting order for the listing is alphabetical (with -alpha), or in a priority order defined by the "Flist-Order" profile entry (with -noalpha). Each item in the "Flist-Order" is a folder name or a folder name pattern that uses * to match zero or more characters. Longer matching patterns have precedence over shorter matching patterns. For example: Flist-Order: personal petproject mh* * admin *junk This order puts a few interesting folders first, such as those with mail addressed to you personally, those about a pet project, and those about mh-related things. It places uninteresting folders at the end, and it puts everything else in the middle in alphabetical order. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory mh-sequences: File that contains public sequences Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence Flist-Order: To sort folders by priority SEE ALSO
folder(1), rcvstore(1), slocal(1), mh-sequence(5) DEFAULTS
`-sequence' defaults to Unseen-Sequence profile entry `-showzero' `-noall' `-norecurse' `-noalpha' `-nofast' CONTEXT
If +folder is given, it will become the current folder. If multiple folders are given, the last one specified will become the current folder. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 FLIST(1)