Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I do if(string.endsWith("/")) in shell Post 302277285 by skar_a on Friday 16th of January 2009 12:03:55 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by klogger
I have a string that may or may not end with a '/' and would like to do something if it does not end in a slash. I have tried:

Code:
if "/home/test/blah/blah" | sed 's/\/$//'
then
    echo "OK"
fi

but I think sed works on input streams only and not files. I am not a shell programmer of any kind and am having difficulty in finding infomation on such things.
Code:
echo "/home/test/blah/blah"|grep '/$'
if [$? -eq 0];then
  echo "Ends with /"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M";output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M" output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6M" using linux shell script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to identify the line number containing a particular "string"

Hi, I have a log file, where i am required to identify the line number, where a particular string/line appears in the log file. And then copy 200 lines above that line number to a new file. Can someone provide pointers on how to write this script or what command to be used ? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk2202
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies
STRTOK(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r -- string tokens LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strtok(char *restrict str, const char *restrict sep); char * strtok_r(char *restrict str, const char *restrict sep, char **restrict lasts); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by strsep(3). The strtok() function is used to isolate sequential tokens in a null-terminated string, str. These tokens are separated in the string by at least one of the characters in sep. The first time that strtok() is called, str should be specified; subsequent calls, wishing to obtain further tokens from the same string, should pass a null pointer instead. The separator string, sep, must be supplied each time, and may change between calls. The implementation will behave as if no library function calls strtok(). The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version of strtok(). The context pointer last must be provided on each call. The strtok_r() function may also be used to nest two parsing loops within one another, as long as separate context pointers are used. The strtok() and strtok_r() functions return a pointer to the beginning of each subsequent token in the string, after replacing the token itself with a NUL character. When no more tokens remain, a null pointer is returned. EXAMPLES
The following uses strtok_r() to parse two strings using separate contexts: char test[80], blah[80]; char *sep = "\/:;=-"; char *word, *phrase, *brkt, *brkb; strcpy(test, "This;is.a:test:of=the/string\tokenizer-function."); for (word = strtok_r(test, sep, &brkt); word; word = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkt)) { strcpy(blah, "blah:blat:blab:blag"); for (phrase = strtok_r(blah, sep, &brkb); phrase; phrase = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkb)) { printf("So far we're at %s:%s ", word, phrase); } } SEE ALSO
memchr(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3), wcstok(3) STANDARDS
The strtok() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). AUTHORS
Wes Peters, Softweyr LLC: <wes@softweyr.com> Based on the FreeBSD 3.0 implementation. BUGS
The System V strtok(), if handed a string containing only delimiter characters, will not alter the next starting point, so that a call to strtok() with a different (or empty) delimiter string may return a non-NULL value. Since this implementation always alters the next starting point, such a sequence of calls would always return NULL. BSD
November 27, 1998 BSD