Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert a string in a file at specified place? Post 302276889 by pmm on Thursday 15th of January 2009 12:21:36 AM
Old 01-15-2009
string1="love football"
string2="love the football"
sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failed to insert string into file before line

Hi folks, I have the following program: #! /bin/ksh set -xv export grepDataSource="</data-sources>" export DB_HOST=tornado export SCHEMA_NAME=IAS10G export dataSource=data-sources.xml sourceString="<data-source class=\"oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl\" name=\"RiGHTvDS\"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert file 1 at a specific place of file 2

Hello, I need to search in file2 for class A : public B { and insert right after that the content of file1. I am a bit lost as to which tools (which bash functions, awk...). I should use. Thanks for some directions here. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert a string as a first line of the file

Hi I need to update a number of existing files and insert #!/bin/ksh line a the first line of the file. Is there any awk or sed command which would help me to do that instead of doing it manually? Thanks a lot -A (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take input from read and place it a string in another file

Hi, This is most likely a dumb question but I could not find answer to it elsewhere. I'm building a simple menu with case /esac and want to read user's input: Please enter XYZ ; read XYZ How do I take the value of XYZ and insert it as a variable $XYZ in file file.txt ? I may need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert comma in place of column

Hi all, I have a file in which I have to insert commna between entries of 2 column and createa new file separated by commas not a columns if input is FHIT Adenosine Monotungstate Not Available CS Trifluoroacetonyl Coenzyme A Not Available Theo expected output is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert underscore in place of column

Hi I tried to put underscore in place of column in a big file with lots of oclumns using the programm sed 's//_/g' Its showing error bash-3.2$ sed 's//_/g'saradrugbankgenedrugnewlist.txt >saradrugbankgenedrugnewlist3.txt sed: -e expression #1, char 11: unknown option to `s' if... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
24 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find regex, place on individual lines and insert blank line before

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to insert a new line before every instance of a regex. I can get it to do this for each line that contains the regex, but not for each instance. Contents of infile: Test this 1... Test this 2... Test this 3... Test this 4... Test this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a user input string after matched string in file

i am having file like this #!/bin/bash read -p 'Username: ' uservar match='<color="red" />' text='this is only a test so please be patient <color="red" />' echo "$text" | sed "s/$match/&$uservar\g" so desireble output what i want is if user type MARIA this is only a test so please... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
13 Replies
PG_COPY_FROM(3) 														   PG_COPY_FROM(3)

pg_copy_from - Insert records into a table from an array

SYNOPSIS
bool pg_copy_from (resource $connection, string $table_name, array $rows, [string $delimiter], [string $null_as]) DESCRIPTION
pg_copy_from(3) inserts records into a table from $rows. It issues a COPY FROM SQL command internally to insert records. PARAMETERS
o $connection - PostgreSQL database connection resource. o $table_name - Name of the table into which to copy the $rows. o $rows - An array of data to be copied into $table_name. Each value in $rows becomes a row in $table_name. Each value in $rows should be a delimited string of the values to insert into each field. Values should be linefeed terminated. o $delimiter - The token that separates values for each field in each element of $rows. Default is TAB. o $null_as - How SQL NULL values are represented in the $rows. Default is N ("\N"). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_copy_from(3) example <?php $db = pg_connect("dbname=publisher") or die("Could not connect"); $rows = pg_copy_to($db, $table_name); pg_query($db, "DELETE FROM $table_name"); pg_copy_from($db, $table_name, $rows); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_copy_to(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_COPY_FROM(3)