Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help on script execution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help on script execution Post 302276115 by otheus on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 04:41:15 AM
Old 01-13-2009
This is complicated. If you just have
Code:
wait

the shell will stop processing until ALL background processes have completed. However, then, you will not be able to capture the exit value of each process as it terminates.

What I don't understand is why "the rest of wait commnads will not be executed" if script1 fails. Rather, wait should return immediately for a failed command or non-existent process. Are you using ksh or bash?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pb with script execution

Hello, Can somebody tell me the differnce between a call of a ksh with the dot : >. script.ksh and the call without the dot: >script.ksh In my script I have writen a test for the number of parameters: if then echo 'Usage : '$0 exit 1 fi as my script doesn't need any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cecile
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to carry-over the script execution to another system

The situation is like this. If I need to know the parameters of all the unix servers connected to a common network, is it possible to get all the parameter details of all the system with the help of a script written in one server?? Can a script be written like that ? Let me give some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuvanash
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Issue Serial Forground Execution vs Concurrent Background Execution

I have an expect script that interrogates several hundred unix servers for both access and directories therein using "ssh user@host ls -l /path". The combination of host/path are unique but the host may be interrogated multiple times if there are multiple paths to test. The expect script is run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Execution

Hello all, I generally get 6 or more files at location /usr/example.Files listed below er 1 2 3 9.txt er 2 2 3 9.txt er 3 2 3 9.txt er 4 2 3 9.txt abc.next del pa.txt cr ad.txt ps tr as er.txt Now the issue is i need to transfer 2 files (one file is fixed called abc.next) at a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH using shell script terminates the script execution

Hello, I am writing a shell script in which i do ssh to remote server and count the number of files there and then exit. After the exit the shell script terminates which i believe is expected behavior. Can some one suggest me a way where even after the exit the script execution resumes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaankit
2 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

invoke one script based on previous script execution

I am database guy and not very good at shell scripts. I am seeking help to sharp my script coding. I have 5 scripts 1. master script. I use this one to call other four scripts to do database work. 2. db_backup_1 and log_backup_1 3. db_backup_2 and log_backup_2 in master script, I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a script

Hi i have a small script like this $ cat test.sh #!/usr/bin/sh name="ram" echo ${1} set 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 123 o870 echo $9 echo ${12} when i am trying to execute like below i am not getting the output jena samp_perl $ sh test.sh test.sh: This: not found (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragilla
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Script on Solaris spawning 2 processes for one shell script execution

Hi, I am having a shell script on Solaris 10 which has a while loop as shown below. #!/usr/bin/ksh # while do sleep 60 done Name of the shell script is coldcentric.sh. I executed script /DATAWAREHOUSE/LOAD/Scripts/coldcentric.sh from a command task in Informatica worklow as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Freezes up execution of the script

My script that I wrote is no longer running, but just freezing when I execute it. Before it was running and showing me where errors were, now when I execute it, nothing happens and i cant type anything into the command screen. The script was a looping script, what could be going on? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJCreations
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script execution

I need to call a script if the month end falls on Saturday or Sunday (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bala1985
5 Replies
EXPORT(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 EXPORT(P)

NAME
export - set the export attribute for variables SYNOPSIS
export name[=word]... export -p DESCRIPTION
The shell shall give the export attribute to the variables corresponding to the specified names, which shall cause them to be in the envi- ronment of subsequently executed commands. If the name of a variable is followed by = word, then the value of that variable shall be set to word. The export special built-in shall support the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. When -p is specified, export shall write to the standard output the names and values of all exported variables, in the following format: "export %s=%s ", <name>, <value> if name is set, and: "export %s ", <name> if name is unset. The shell shall format the output, including the proper use of quoting, so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell as commands that achieve the same exporting results, except: 1. Read-only variables with values cannot be reset. 2. Variables that were unset at the time they were output need not be reset to the unset state if a value is assigned to the variable between the time the state was saved and the time at which the saved output is reinput to the shell. When no arguments are given, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
See the DESCRIPTION. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
See the DESCRIPTION. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
Zero. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Export PWD and HOME variables: export PWD HOME Set and export the PATH variable: export PATH=/local/bin:$PATH Save and restore all exported variables: export -p > temp-fileunset a lot of variables... processing. temp-file RATIONALE
Some historical shells use the no-argument case as the functional equivalent of what is required here with -p. This feature was left unspecified because it is not historical practice in all shells, and some scripts may rely on the now-unspecified results on their imple- mentations. Attempts to specify the -p output as the default case were unsuccessful in achieving consensus. The -p option was added to allow portable access to the values that can be saved and then later restored using; for example, a dot script. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXPORT(P)