Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why does my /bin/csh take longer than /bin/perl? Post 302275841 by cfajohnson on Monday 12th of January 2009 09:59:06 AM
Old 01-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheong87
Okay, so I have two "Hello, world!" scripts, "test.pl" and "test.sh".
Code:
#!/bin/perl -w
use strict;
print "Hello, world!\n";

Code:
#!/bin/csh
echo Hello,\ world!

When I run test.pl, it runs instantly, always. When I run test.sh, it takes anywhere between 4 and 22 seconds!

The same script is a shell that is designed for scripting (i.e., a POSIX shell, such as bash, ash, dash or ksh) takes much less time than csh and quite likely less than perl.

Top Ten Reasons not to use the C shell
Csh problems
Csh Programming Considered Harmful

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSH CGI-BIN question ?

Hi, 1. How to Write csh CGI-BIN script which return a web page which show the environment of the executed script ? 2. How do we read command line on csh and ksh ? Thank's (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7eleven
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All, Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Thanx in advance, Saneesh Joseph (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

#/usr/bin/csh -f not working as expected?

Hey everyone, A coworker of mine has written a csh script that starts with #!/usr/bin/csh -f. It's my understanding that the -f should skip the .cshrc and .login files, but here's the problem: In the script "line" is used, and I happen to have a "line" in my ~/bin. When the script is ran my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/csh -f :: What does it mean

Hi, I have a script which I need to modify. It contains the following statement at the beginning - 1. What does this mean ? #!/bin/csh -f 2. If I run the following code in a script on C SHELL it runs normally. host=0 if ; then host="<<something>>" fi But, in the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
7 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

source the csh into the bin/sh

I tried to source the csh file into the bin/sh(input file is srcinput.sh ). Its(csh -f ...csh) not working. I tried to source like csh -f D:/sample/expand/env.csh env.csh sets the environment and it source another .csh file using source fname.csh. fname.csh it sets one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
VCONSOLE.CONF(5)						   vconsole.conf						  VCONSOLE.CONF(5)

NAME
vconsole.conf - configuration file for the virtual console SYNOPSIS
/etc/vconsole.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/vconsole.conf file configures the virtual console, i.e. keyboard mapping and console font. The basic file format of the vconsole.conf is a newline-separated list environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options vconsole.keymap=, vconsole.keymap.toggle=, vconsole.font=, vconsole.font.map=, vconsole.font.unimap= may be used to override the console settings at boot. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the virtual console as well, however only as fallback. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: KEYMAP=, KEYMAP_TOGGLE= Configures the key mapping table of for they keyboard. KEYMAP= defaults to us if not set. The KEYMAP_TOGGLE= can be used to configured a second toggle keymap and is by default unset. FONT=, FONT_MAP=, FONT_UNIMAP= Configures the console font, the console map and the unicode font map. FONT= defaults to latarcyrheb-sun16. EXAMPLE
Example 1. German keyboard and console /etc/vconsole.conf: KEYMAP=de-latin1 FONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), loadkeys(1), setfont(8), locale.conf(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 VCONSOLE.CONF(5)