Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disk mirroring
Operating Systems Solaris disk mirroring Post 302275790 by Chains on Monday 12th of January 2009 07:45:41 AM
Old 01-12-2009
The way to go about it differs depending on which type of system your using. You could use Sun Volume Manager on SPARC systems (used to be Solstice Disk Suite, I believe) while x86 systems normally have straight forward Hardware Mirroring accessible through various key combinations during the boot process depending on what RAID card is installed e.g LSI or Adaptec. Although that's just in my experience.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is disk mirroring in unix?

Can anyone give some answers on what is disk mirroring in Unix? It may be related to unix online backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk Mirroring?? have any idea???

After reading some books, I came across this idea of having a duplicate of your current hard drive on another second hard drive so that if the first hard drive happens to crash, the system can be up and running in quickly now, is there anybody in here who uses this method at work?? If there is,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk mirroring under RedHat 8

I would like to build a new box that has the disk mirrored to another IDE disk on a different channel. Does anyone know if a RAID controller like the Promise is supported under RedHat 8, or should I use a software RAID. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk mirroring

Good Morning :) I have a new challenge to solve, I am going to write a new backup disk mirroring script. The current one, whcih is useing 'dd' caused some stalled systems :( Currently I am in the phase of experimenting with different methods, I was thinking about dump/restore afio/cpio or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Disk mirroring

Hi I have two raw disk that I want to mirror and then create soft partition on that. Could someone please help in the steps required c0t1d0 c0t0d0 Thanks Ajwat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help !! disk Mirroring

Hi I have a Sunfire X4100 box with a 4 disk Chassis (although I only have 2 disks in it). I have been asked to add two more disks into the chassis so that I can mirror the original two using SVM .....Ive read through a couple of SVM docs but am finding it a little confusing, and if any of you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mirroring Disk Geometry

How can one mirror disk geometry from one hard disk to another in Solaris. Is disk snapshot same as a mirror? Pls explain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexusujx
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 Disk Mirroring

Has anyone managed to set up disk mirroring in Solaris 10 yet? If so can you point me in the direction of some useful documentation please. Cheers (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: korfnz
25 Replies

9. Solaris

Disk Mirroring on solaris 5.8

Hi Friends, I am having Sun Solaris 5.8 OS installed having 2 different size hard disk, sizes are c0t0d0s0(160 GB) and c0t2d0s0 (40GB). I have installed Sun Solaris 5.8 OS in c0t0d0s0 (160GB) harddisk. I have configured all the parameters required for disk mirroring. But when executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Disk Mirroring

Hi, How to identify whether the disk is being mirrored or not in RHEL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies
TWS(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TWS(4)

NAME
tws -- 3ware 9750 SATA+SAS 6Gb/s RAID controller card driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device scbus device tws Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): tws_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The tws driver provides support for LSI's 3ware 9750 SATA+SAS 6Gb/s RAID controller cards. These controllers feature the LSISAS2108 6Gb/s SAS RAID-on-Chip (ROC) and are available in 4- and 8-port configurations, supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and single disk, with 96 SATA and/or SAS hard drives and SSDs. For further hardware information, see http://www.lsi.com/. HARDWARE
The tws driver supports the following SATA/SAS RAID controller: o LSI's 3ware SAS 9750 series LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.tws.cam_depth The maximum queued CAM SIM requests for one controller. The default value is 256. hw.tws.enable_msi This tunable enables MSI support on the controller if set to a non-zero value. The default value is 0. hw.tws.queue_depth The maximum queued requests for one controller. hw.tws.use_32bit_sgls Limit the driver to use only 32-bit SG elements regardless whether the operating system is running in 64-bit mode. The default value is 0. FILES
/dev/da? array/logical disk interface /dev/tws? management interface DIAGNOSTICS
Whenever the driver encounters a command failure, it prints out an error code in the format: "ERROR: (<error source>: <error code>):", fol- lowed by a text description of the error. There are other error messages and warnings that the driver prints out, depending on the kinds of errors that it encounters. If the driver is compiled with TWS_DEBUG defined, it prints out a whole bunch of debug messages. SEE ALSO
da(4), scsi(4) AUTHORS
The tws driver was written by Manjunath Ranganathaiah for LSI and this manual page was written by Xin LI <delphij@FreeBSD.org> for iXsystems, Inc. BSD
October 4, 2011 BSD