Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hosts.deny entry
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hosts.deny entry Post 302274880 by Lazydog on Thursday 8th of January 2009 02:27:18 PM
Old 01-08-2009
man hosts.deny

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hosts.deny "mailing thing"

Hey people i need a little help here if anyone knows who to separate the mailing users and can i have more then one at the end of the command line please tell me :::This is just an example::: /etc/hosts.deny: tftpd: ALL: (/some/where/safe_finger -l @%h | \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IP´s (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete entry from /etc/hosts file ?

Hi there I have a requirement where i have to globally remove a hosts file entry from all boxes e.g. 10.01.10.1 my_server1 normally for 'in-line' editing of files without passing it out to another fle and copying it back etc which is messy, Ive been using the fantastic "perl -pi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

entry in /etc/hosts

Hello all, I´m on Red Hat Enterprise Server 4.5 I´m wondering if it is possible to disable the need to add every IP machine entry in the file /etc/hosts to allow it to connect to Red hat? I´m getting "where are you?" message. This is solved adding the machine ip where I´m working. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny

Hi.., I am using redhat5 server, i want to know the details about to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny. Need help immediately (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Hosts file ignored, no DNS entry but still routes!!

Hi all, I have an entry in my hosts file on a server called tractor as follows: 10.67.34.128 digger-m2m digger I have a DNS server configured but it doesn't seem to know about digger. When I do an nslookup on tractor for digger i get the following: new_dns1.oam.uk can't find digger: Non... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
0 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking crontab job entry in 3 different hosts

Hi Gurus, I am trying to connect to remote host from current host to check crontab entries. I have started like this ssh -n -l db2psp 205.191.156.17 ". ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; cd log ;ls | wc -l" I got this error ? ssh: connect to host 205.191.156.17 port 22:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocking77
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts.deny

Hi there, For /etc/hosts.deny was it used to deny access from the internet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
/etc/hosts.equiv - list of hosts and users that are granted "trusted" r command access to your system DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv file allows or denies hosts and users to use the r-commands (e.g., rlogin, rsh or rcp) without supplying a password. The file uses the following format: [ + | - ] [hostname] [username] The hostname is the name of a host which is logically equivalent to the local host. Users logged into that host are allowed to access like-named user accounts on the local host without supplying a password. The hostname may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. If the plus sign is used alone it allows any host to access your system. You can explicitly deny access to a host by preceding the hostname by a minus (-) sign. Users from that host must always supply a password. For security reasons you should always use the FQDN of the host- name and not the short hostname. The username entry grants a specific user access to all user accounts (except root) without supplying a password. That means the user is NOT restricted to like-named accounts. The username may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. You can also explicitly deny access to a specific user by preceding the username with a minus (-) sign. This says that the user is not trusted no matter what other entries for that host exist. Netgroups can be specified by preceding the netgroup by an @ sign. Be extremely careful when using the plus (+) sign. A simple typographical error could result in a standalone plus sign. A standalone plus sign is a wildcard character that means "any host"! FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv NOTES
Some systems will only honor the contents of this file when it has owner root and no write permission for anybody else. Some exceptionally paranoid systems even require that there be no other hard links to the file. Modern systems use the Pluggable Authentication Modules library (PAM). With PAM a standalone plus sign is only considered a wildcard char- acter which means "any host" when the word promiscuous is added to the auth component line in your PAM file for the particular service (e.g., rlogin). SEE ALSO
rhosts(5), rlogind(8), rshd(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2003-08-24 HOSTS.EQUIV(5)