Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CSV formatting with prefixing, appending and padding field Post 302274550 by Annihilannic on Thursday 8th of January 2009 12:49:19 AM
Old 01-08-2009
No need to run sed multiple times; you can have multiple commands in a sed script. Try this:

Code:
sed '
  s/^\(....\)\(.*\)/\2      \1/
  s/^.*/CODE,&/
  s/$/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/
' input.csv > output.csv

The second command there identifies a 4 character substring and a rest-of-string substring, then reinserts them into the replacement with a six-character separator (much like & does, but it inserts the entire match).

However you could simplify that further and do it in one step, e.g.:

Code:
sed 's/^\(....\)\(.*\)/CODE,\2      \1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/' input.csv > output.csv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping padding in a date field

Hi Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with a script, i need to get the day, month and day of month into a string, so i'm using: CURRENT_DATE=`date +"%a %b %e"` It is getting the correct date out, however it is not keeping the padding on the day of month. The %e is supposed to pad the day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanbyrne
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help appending a string to a field

Hi, This is driving me nuts, can't think of any easy way to do it. I need to append a string ".00" only in the third field of a file, and only if it does NOT have a decimal point already Here is what the file looks like- 1400030846,2,17,POL GENERAL 1400030900,3,14.95,FIC GENERAL If... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfisk
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with appending to a csv file

I am working to import a file and have almost all the information accounted for except this last item. First of all the file name is the category and this is what I need to append to the file. The catch I believe is the fact the file name has spaces in it. Filename CPU Products.csv File... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkr1ptd
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a parameter value to a .csv file???

Hi I have a date which I get as parameter. I want it to be added as first column in all the rows in a csv file. I have tried the below code but no success. date=$1 awk -F"," '{print $date","$0}' z3.csv > z4.csv Could you tell the correct code for the above req.? How to use code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msp2244
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending = in particular column in csv file

Hi, I have a requirement to append = in particular row in csv file. Data in csv is as follow: row1,a,a,a row2,b,b,b row3,c,c,c row4,d,d,d csv should be modified at row3 and no. of columns are not fixed but rows are. output should be as: row1,a,a,a row2,b,b,b row3,=c,=c,=c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya1987
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort, sed, and zero padding date column csv bash scripting

Hello people, I am having problem to sort, sed and zero padding of column in csv file. 7th column only. Input of csv file: 1,2,3,4,5,6,4/1/2010 12:00 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,3/11/2010 9:39 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,5/12/2011 3:43 PM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,12/20/2009 7:23 PM,8 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sean1357
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding a csv value with 0's

I have this csv file that I would like to sort on the 20th and 21st field. They are high lighted below. My challenge is that when I sort on those fields they are not in order as I would have liked. It seems like I have to pad those fields to the longest value in that fields data. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GroveTuckey
6 Replies

9. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns from two csv files and update field in one of the csv file

Hi, I have a file of csv data, which looks like this: file1: 1AA,LGV_PONCEY_LES_ATHEE,1,\N,1,00020460E1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,2,00.22335321,0.00466628 2BB,LES_POUGES_ASF,\N,200,200,00006298G1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,1,00.30887539,0.00050312... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djoseph
10 Replies
SED(1)								   User Commands							    SED(1)

NAME
sed - stream editor for filtering and transforming text SYNOPSIS
sed [OPTION]... {script-only-if-no-other-script} [input-file]... DESCRIPTION
Sed is a stream editor. A stream editor is used to perform basic text transformations on an input stream (a file or input from a pipe- line). While in some ways similar to an editor which permits scripted edits (such as ed), sed works by making only one pass over the input(s), and is consequently more efficient. But it is sed's ability to filter text in a pipeline which particularly distinguishes it from other types of editors. -n, --quiet, --silent suppress automatic printing of pattern space -e script, --expression=script add the script to the commands to be executed -f script-file, --file=script-file add the contents of script-file to the commands to be executed --follow-symlinks follow symlinks when processing in place -i[SUFFIX], --in-place[=SUFFIX] edit files in place (makes backup if extension supplied) -l N, --line-length=N specify the desired line-wrap length for the `l' command --posix disable all GNU extensions. -r, --regexp-extended use extended regular expressions in the script. -s, --separate consider files as separate rather than as a single continuous long stream. -u, --unbuffered load minimal amounts of data from the input files and flush the output buffers more often --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If no -e, --expression, -f, or --file option is given, then the first non-option argument is taken as the sed script to interpret. All remaining arguments are names of input files; if no input files are specified, then the standard input is read. GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>. General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>. E-mail bug reports to: <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field. COMMAND SYNOPSIS
This is just a brief synopsis of sed commands to serve as a reminder to those who already know sed; other documentation (such as the tex- info document) must be consulted for fuller descriptions. Zero-address ``commands'' : label Label for b and t commands. #comment The comment extends until the next newline (or the end of a -e script fragment). } The closing bracket of a { } block. Zero- or One- address commands = Print the current line number. a text Append text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. i text Insert text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. q [exit-code] Immediately quit the sed script without processing any more input, except that if auto-print is not disabled the current pattern space will be printed. The exit code argument is a GNU extension. Q [exit-code] Immediately quit the sed script without processing any more input. This is a GNU extension. r filename Append text read from filename. R filename Append a line read from filename. Each invocation of the command reads a line from the file. This is a GNU extension. Commands which accept address ranges { Begin a block of commands (end with a }). b label Branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. c text Replace the selected lines with text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. d Delete pattern space. Start next cycle. D Delete up to the first embedded newline in the pattern space. Start next cycle, but skip reading from the input if there is still data in the pattern space. h H Copy/append pattern space to hold space. g G Copy/append hold space to pattern space. l List out the current line in a ``visually unambiguous'' form. l width List out the current line in a ``visually unambiguous'' form, breaking it at width characters. This is a GNU extension. n N Read/append the next line of input into the pattern space. p Print the current pattern space. P Print up to the first embedded newline of the current pattern space. s/regexp/replacement/ Attempt to match regexp against the pattern space. If successful, replace that portion matched with replacement. The replacement may contain the special character & to refer to that portion of the pattern space which matched, and the special escapes 1 through 9 to refer to the corresponding matching sub-expressions in the regexp. t label If a s/// has done a successful substitution since the last input line was read and since the last t or T command, then branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. T label If no s/// has done a successful substitution since the last input line was read and since the last t or T command, then branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. This is a GNU extension. w filename Write the current pattern space to filename. W filename Write the first line of the current pattern space to filename. This is a GNU extension. x Exchange the contents of the hold and pattern spaces. y/source/dest/ Transliterate the characters in the pattern space which appear in source to the corresponding character in dest. Addresses Sed commands can be given with no addresses, in which case the command will be executed for all input lines; with one address, in which case the command will only be executed for input lines which match that address; or with two addresses, in which case the command will be executed for all input lines which match the inclusive range of lines starting from the first address and continuing to the second address. Three things to note about address ranges: the syntax is addr1,addr2 (i.e., the addresses are separated by a comma); the line which addr1 matched will always be accepted, even if addr2 selects an earlier line; and if addr2 is a regexp, it will not be tested against the line that addr1 matched. After the address (or address-range), and before the command, a ! may be inserted, which specifies that the command shall only be executed if the address (or address-range) does not match. The following address types are supported: number Match only the specified line number. first~step Match every step'th line starting with line first. For example, ``sed -n 1~2p'' will print all the odd-numbered lines in the input stream, and the address 2~5 will match every fifth line, starting with the second. first can be zero; in this case, sed operates as if it were equal to step. (This is an extension.) $ Match the last line. /regexp/ Match lines matching the regular expression regexp. cregexpc Match lines matching the regular expression regexp. The c may be any character. GNU sed also supports some special 2-address forms: 0,addr2 Start out in "matched first address" state, until addr2 is found. This is similar to 1,addr2, except that if addr2 matches the very first line of input the 0,addr2 form will be at the end of its range, whereas the 1,addr2 form will still be at the beginning of its range. This works only when addr2 is a regular expression. addr1,+N Will match addr1 and the N lines following addr1. addr1,~N Will match addr1 and the lines following addr1 until the next line whose input line number is a multiple of N. REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
POSIX.2 BREs should be supported, but they aren't completely because of performance problems. The sequence in a regular expression matches the newline character, and similarly for a, , and other sequences. BUGS
E-mail bug reports to bonzini@gnu.org. Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field. Also, please include the output of ``sed --version'' in the body of your report if at all possible. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE, to the extent permitted by law. GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>. General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>. E-mail bug reports to: <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), tr(1), perlre(1), sed.info, any of various books on sed, the sed FAQ (http://sed.sf.net/grabbag/tutorials/sed- faq.txt), http://sed.sf.net/grabbag/. The full documentation for sed is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sed programs are properly installed at your site, the command info sed should give you access to the complete manual. sed 4.2.1 December 2010 SED(1)