Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Diff online files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Diff online files Post 302274056 by radoulov on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 01:36:03 PM
Old 01-06-2009
If your shell supports process substitution (ksh93, zsh or bash),
you could use something like this:
Code:
diff <(wget -q -O - url1) <(wget -q -O - url2)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff bw two files

Hi All, I have two files which look as below File1 serial="1" name="abc" type="employee" field="IT" serial="2" name="cde" type="intern" field="Marketing" serial="3" name="pqr" type="contractor" field="IT" serial="4" name="xyz" type="employee" field="Sales" File2 serial="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 2 Delimiter Files.

Hi, I need a small help to compare two PIPE delimited files. Note : All The Files Have A Column Name Example: file1.txt ================= column1|column2|column3 one|two|three four|five|six seven|eight|nine file2.txt ================= column1|column2|column3 1|two|three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshultongia
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Binary files diff

Hi I am very happy to joined this group!!! I need your suggestion for get it resolved my issue. I have two class files both class files are same, there is no diff in both two files. Both 2 files were compiled in Linux environment with different type of OS. When i am using diff command,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh1256644
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff of 2 files using perl

Assitance needed in checking file difference using a perl script Below is the example I wanted a report saying file2 has an update of new value. File1 old date Alpha 156 Beta 255 Gama 6987 segma 4578 File2 new date Alpha 156 Beta 255 Gama 1000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] ksh93 +exit [n] +return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF also causes the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value is the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file also causes the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value is the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ksh93 exit is shell special built-in that causes the shell that invokes it to exit. Before exiting the shell, if the EXIT trap is set, it is invoked. If n is specified, it is used to set the exit status. return is a shell special built-in that causes the function or dot script that invokes it to exit. If return is invoked outside of a func- tion or dot script it is equivalent to exit. If return is invoked inside a function defined with the function reserved word syntax, then any EXIT trap set within the function is invoked in the context of the caller before the function returns. If n is specified, it is used to set the exit status. On this manual page, ksh93 commands that are preceded by one or two + symbols are special built-in commands and are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. They are not valid function names. 5. Words following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. EXIT STATUS
ksh93 If n is specified for exit, the exit status is the least significant eight bits of the value of n. Otherwise, the exit status is the exit status of preceding command. When invoked inside a trap, the preceding command means the command that invoked the trap. If n is specified for return, the exit status is the least significant eight bits of the value of n. Otherwise, the exit status is the exit status of preceding command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 exit(1)