Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trouble using read to store values in variables from command output Post 302273706 by bobbygsk on Monday 5th of January 2009 01:57:48 PM
Old 01-05-2009
Quote:
$ date -u '+%d %h %y' | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]' | read DAY MONTH YEAR <enter>
$ echo $DAY
I could able to result $DAY as "05" from the above command. I have no issues with it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to store comma separated values in different variables

Hello friends, I need ur help.I want to write a script. The script should read contents from a file namely xyz. e.g xyz abcd,1234,efgh,7854378 dhnsa,dsakjkdl,43432,ZXDsa the script should store comma (,) seperated values in different variables. Once pointer will reach end of line (\n), it should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse config file and store the values in variables

Hi, I have a config file that has blank, commented lines. I need to escape commented lines, blank lines, parse the remaining lines and store them in variables or array. the config file contains the following lines. # config file # Define Oracle User ORA_USER=abcde ORA_PASS=xyzabc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshmi Chowdam
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store the output values in array

Hi, How to store the values in array from output result, EG: I have the result like this, ps, google, 1.txt, 1 sam, google, 2.txt, 2 These are the four values followed by comma in two sets. I need to store these values set by set. One set contains four values followed by comma. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarthikPS
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store/read multiple values from a varible

Hi, when I enter 'ps -ef| grep process_name'/'psu | grep process_name', i am getting multiple number of lines output( i mean multiple no of processes).how can i store it one by one and echo it in the same way(one by one). part of script is var1=$(remsh hostname -l username ps -ef|grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanzibbin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read values and store in array?

I am reading a value from a file and want to store the value in a dynamic array as i don't know the number of occurrences of the value in that file. How can i do that and then later fetch that value from array (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prachi Gupta
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file contain multiple separated values & assign those values to variables

I have a file containing multiple values, some of them are pipe separated which are to be read as separate values and some of them are single value all are these need to store in variables. I need to read this file which is an input to my script Config.txt file name, first path, second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store output in variables instead of files

Hi All, I have written a (bash) function which generates multiple files say file1 file2 file3 now I want to reduce the generation of these three files i.e. store the output of three files in variables, and generate the same results, in-order to avoid multiple creation of files how is that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read in Multiple log files and output selected variables and values to cvs file

I have several problems with my problems: I hope you can help me. 1) the If else statement I am getting an error message. My syntax must be incorrect because the entire statement is throwing an error. For example in filew.log if these items don't exist Memsize, SASFoundation and also if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read several variables from command output via SSH

Hi Folks, I'm currently trying to read several values into different variables. Actually, what I'm doing works, but I get an error message. My attempts are: read strCPROC strIPROC strAPROC <<<$(ssh -n -T hscroot@$HMC "lshwres -r proc -m $strIDENT --level sys -F \"configurable_sys_proc_units... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: NKaede
11 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. Column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD