Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting file name ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting file name ? Post 302273181 by cfajohnson on Friday 2nd of January 2009 10:01:00 PM
Old 01-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman2
Is there an alternate to just get the latest file name from a dir?

Code:
dir=/dir1/dir2  ## adjust to taste
file_name=$(
 ls -t "$dir" |
 while IFS= read -r file
 do
   [ -f "$dir/$file" ] && { printf "%s\n" "$file"; break; }
 done
)

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)