Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting file name ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting file name ? Post 302273124 by Hangman2 on Friday 2nd of January 2009 05:53:24 PM
Old 01-02-2009
That worked

This Worked.

file_name=`ls -ltr /dir1/dir2 | grep '^-' | tail -1 | awk '{print $9}' `

>>
I wouldn't use four external commands just the get a filename
>>

Is there an alternate to just get the latest file name from a dir?

I used grep to just get files from a dir or skip the dirs underneath it, tail -1 gives the latest file name. Awk just prints the name.

Thanks.

Smilie

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
SYNCTREE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYNCTREE(1)

NAME
synctree - synchronize directory trees. SYNOPSIS
synctree [-iuf] [[user1@]machine1:]dir1 [[user2@]machine2:]dir2 DESCRIPTION
Synctree synchronizes the directory tree rooted at dir2 with dir1. It walks recursively through both trees, and deletes and adds files in dir2 to make it equal to dir1. Mode, owner and group are set for each file unless the -u flag is given. In its normal mode of operation, synctree will ask if it may delete or add directories assuming that you don't want to. Non-directories are simply deleted or added, but synctree will ask if it needs to update a normal file with a default answer of 'y'. Simply typing return will choose the default answer, typing end-of-file is like typing return to this question and all other questions. You can specify a hostname and user-id to be used to access dir1 or dir2. Synctree will use rsh(1) to run a copy of itself on the remote machine. The call interface mimics that of rcp(1), but you can use more than one user@machine prefix if you want to make things really interesting. Hard links are enforced, an update is done by first deleting the old file so that links to unknown files are broken. Links to files within dir2 will be restored. If either directory contains the file .backup, then this file will be used as an alternate inode table. This allows one to make a backup copy of a file tree full of special files and differing user-ids on a remote machine under an unpriviledged user-id. OPTIONS
-i Ask for permission (with default answer 'n') to delete or add any file or directory. -u Only install newer files, i.e. merge the directory trees. -f Don't ask, think 'yes' on any question. SEE ALSO
remsync(1), cpdir(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), perror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Messages may come from three different processes. One named "Slave" running in dir1, one named "Master" running in dir2, and synctree itself in a mediator role. The mediator will also perform the task of either the master or the slave if one of them is running locally. You need to know this to interpret the error messages coming from one of these processes. The messages are normally based on perror(3). Failure to contact a remote machine will be reported by rsh. Synctree should have a zero exit status if no errors have been encountered. BUGS
Directory dir2 will be created without asking. The master and slave processes get their error output mixed up sometimes (nice puzzle). The local and remote machine must use the same file type encoding. The link replacement strategy may lead to lack of space on a small device. Let synctree run to completion and then rerun it to pick up the pieces. Letting the local process keep its "synctree" name may be a mistake. It talks too much. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot, (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SYNCTREE(1)