Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming Files (Multiple files) Post 302273071 by shekhar_v4 on Friday 2nd of January 2009 01:50:49 PM
Old 01-02-2009
Renaming Files (Multiple files)

Hi,

I have a directory with files names like ABC20090101AXY.txt, ABC20090102BZ.txt,ABC20090101COF.txt etc. The digits in the filenames represent the date. I want to rename the files to AXY.txt, BZ.txt and COF.txt

I tried with this code.

myfile= date '+ABC%Y%m%d'
for i in *.txt
do
mv $i `echo $i | sed 's/$myfile//'`
done

But its giving message

mv: ABC20090101AXY.txt and ABC20090101AXY.txt are identical

Can u help me finding the problem.

Regards,
Shekhar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming multiple files

Hi to everyone!!. Here's my stupid question of the day. When I have to rename a file I use "mv filename newfilename". But what about renaming multiple files, for example if I want to add the prefix "old" to several image files (in fact it's what I wanted to do..). Thanks in advance.... :D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Help! I was trying to rename multiple files. Like in DOS, i decided to use wildcards and now i am missing some files. Any ideas on how to recover them? Or find out where the files went? I had these 3 files resume1.log elecresume.log compresume.log The command I ran was mv *.log *.log.bak... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmayur
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Hi, I have several hundred files I need to rename, and I'm would rather not hit F2 for each file individually to rename them. Example of file: large1961.jpg What I need the file to be renamed as: 1961.jpg I don't know what type of command I can execute within a shell script that would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayell
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

I have multiple gif files in a directory with different names. How can i rename them to have this result: file01.gif file02.gif file03.gif . . . file0500.gif Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netx
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
BINFMT.D(5)							     binfmt.d							       BINFMT.D(5)

NAME
binfmt.d - Configure additional binary formats at boot SYNOPSIS
/etc/binfmt.d/*.conf /run/binfmt.d/*.conf /usr/lib/binfmt.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
systemd uses files from the above directories to configure additional binary formats to register during boot in the kernel. CONFIGURATION FORMAT
Each file contains a list of binfmt_misc kernel binary format rules. Consult binfmt_misc.txt[1] for more information on registration of additional binary formats and how to write rules. Empty lines and lines beginning with ; and # are ignored. Note that this means you may not use ; and # as delimiter in binary format rules. Each configuration file is named in the style of <program>.conf. Files in /etc/ overwrite files with the same name in /usr/lib/. Files in /run overwrite files with the same name in /etc/ and /usr/lib/. Packages should install their configuration files in /usr/lib/, files in /etc/ are reserved for the local administration, which possibly decides to overwrite the configurations installed from packages. All files are sorted by filename in alphabetical order, regardless in which of the directories they reside, to ensure that a specific configuration file takes precedence over another file with an alphabetically later name. EXAMPLE
Example 1. /etc/binfmt.d/wine.conf example: # Start WINE on Windows executables :DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine: SEE ALSO
systemd(1), wine(8) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer NOTES
1. binfmt_misc.txt http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt systemd 10/07/2013 BINFMT.D(5)