Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PATH dircetory search order
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PATH dircetory search order Post 302272771 by bobban on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 09:11:41 PM
Old 12-31-2008
PATH directory search order

Hello

I using CygWin and am working on project that requires whereby after I make some code changes and rebuild I have to manually copy the updated files into the install directory to test them. There is a build output directory where these files placed, but the program will not run from there. It is mainly dll files that need updating.

So I thought if I set up my path with the build output directory as the first path my program might search there first, and thereby find the updated dll if there is one.

I tried changing my PATH using the following script something like:

PATH="/cygdrive/d/dev/Builds/BuildOutputDir:.:"

However, no matter what I do my application always seems to use the dll from the install directory if there is one. If I remove the dll from that directory and test by setting a few other directories in the PATH then I can see that the precedence of the directories is working correctly. Just I cannot remove the working directory... Smilie

Is what I am trying to do possible? Is what I set my PATH to correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. Smilie

Last edited by bobban; 12-31-2008 at 10:36 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding default search path for CPP

Hi there, I have built myself a GCC (3.4.4) for PowerPC with a cross compilation toolchain running on a x86, together with glibc-2.3.4 and binutils-2.16. On the PowerPC there is a system runnign already (only console ofc, nothing "cosy", kernel-2.6.15). So my question is how to propperly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyanov
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - search order

Hi, I would like "grep" command to search ALL files in current directory in the order of their modified/created date. How can i do this? e.g., if 3 files contain the pattern i am searching for, i need the output of "grep" to be in the order such that old file search result should come first.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find duplicate commands in the search path?

I wanted to see if there is any duplicate of a specific command in the command search path. The following code will list all copies of "openssl" in the command search path. find `printenv PATH | sed "s/:/ /g"` -maxdepth 1 -name openssl However, the above code would fail if the search path... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the shortest path in grep search?

Hi, How can I display only one shortest path (A/B/configure)? $ grep configure file.txt A/B/configure A/B/C/configure A/B/C/D/configure Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conduct a search or test -f over a path with spaces

I am organizing my music library on a NAS server. I want to print a list of all the directories that are missing the cover art (at least one or more jpeg file). I have successfully created a file with each line containing the path to each occurance of one or more .mp3 files. That path is also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreydanials
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi, Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts. How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH? The PATH is right now: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet). I read about this: PATH=/bin:$PATH
 export PATH or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
1 Replies

8. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Php search path

Probably simple, but I don't see it. jack@veritron /u/email $ cat p3.php <?php require_once './lib/swift_required.php'; $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; set_include_path('./lib:./lib/classes:'.$x); $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; $transport =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - Changes the current working directory SYNOPSIS
cd [directory] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the cd command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the command described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/cd. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in command. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cd: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The pathname (either full or relative) to be used as the new working directory. If (hyphen) is specified as the directory, the cd command changes your current (working) directory to the directory name saved in the environment variable OLDPWD. DESCRIPTION
The cd command moves you from your present directory to another directory. You must have execute (search) permission in the specified directory. If you do not specify a directory, cd moves you to your login directory ($HOME in ksh and sh environments, or $home in csh environment). If the specified directory name is a full pathname, it becomes the current working directory. A full pathname begins with a / (slash) for the root directory, with a . (dot) for the current working directory, or with a .. (dot dot) for the parent directory. If the directory name is not a full pathname, cd searches for it relative to one of the paths specified by the $CDPATH shell variable (or $cdpath csh vari- able). This variable has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the $PATH shell variable (or $path csh variable). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To change to your home directory, enter: cd To change to a new directory, enter: cd /usr/include This changes the current working directory to /usr/include. Now file pathnames that do not begin with / or ../ specify files located in /usr/include. To go down one level of the directory tree, enter: cd sys If the current working directory is /usr/include and if it contains a subdirectory named sys, then /usr/include/sys becomes the cur- rent working directory. To go up one level of the directory tree, enter: cd .. The special filename .. (dot dot) always refers to the directory immediately above the current working directory. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of cd: A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a / (slash) character, and the first component is not (dot) or cd command will search for directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory will be set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If CDPATH is not set, it will be treated as if it were an empty string. The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte char- acters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. A pathname of the previous working directory, used by the cd - form of the command. The cd command sets this variable to your current working directory before changing to a new current directory. A pathname of the current working directory, set by the cd command after it has changed to that directory. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), pwd(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: chdir(2) Environment: environ(5) Standards: standards(5) cd(1)