Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parsing a string in PERL
Top Forums Programming Parsing a string in PERL Post 302272732 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 31st of December 2008 03:16:16 PM
Old 12-31-2008
awk splits fields by default, so it is as good as it gets at doing that: try this
Code:
awk -F'|' ' BEGIN{cnt=3; old=""}
      {if (old != $67)
          { old=$67
            printf("%d|", cnt++)
          }
        print $0
       } ' inputfile > outputfile

But I don't understand why perl's split is off the menu. Did you try something to prove it doesn't work well?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help parsing a string

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that outputs, among other things, some of the information that is outputted by the mysqladmin status command. The output of the command looks like this: Uptime: 816351 Threads: 19 Questions: 80719739 Slow queries: 1419 Opens: 15903523 Flush tables: 1 Open tables:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: achieve
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String-parsing!

I need the perl solution for the following : $string="I LOVE INDIA" now, in a new string i need the first character of each word... that is string2 should be "ILN". (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing String

Hello All, I have a case, wherein I have a string of the format "attr1=value1 attr2=value2 attr3=value3 attr4=value4" How do I extract the value associated with for a given attributename. For eg. I need to get a value of "value2" when I give an input for attribute name as "attr2". Note, each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing

Hi, name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create coid=MA5603U phone=5678 portpolicy=APortSelectionPolicy rfu10=TTV rfu3=Dot1q sz7_portmode=VDSL2 rfu5=1234 srprofile.sy_profname=$ADSL_TTV_SubProfile1 I have a line like this. Its a single line.I need the output as name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing

Hi, name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create coid=MA5603U phone=5678 portpolicy=APortSelectionPolicy rfu10=TTV rfu3=Dot1q sz7_portmode=VDSL2 rfu5=1234 srprofile.sy_profname=$ADSL_TTV_SubProfile1 I have a line like this. Its a single line.I need the output as name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on parsing string

for i in `cat list`;do lol=`curl -m 2 -s ${i} | grep 'class=info' | cut -d '>' -f14 | cut -d '<' -f1 | sed '/^$/d'`; if ;then echo "$i,$lol" >> dirty; echo "$i,$lol";fi; done cut: you must specify a list of bytes, characters, or fields Try `cut --help' for more information. it gave me that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p33plime
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with understanding this regex in a Perl script parsing a 'complex' string

Hi, I need some guidance with understanding this Perl script below. I am not the author of the script and the author has not leave any documentation. I supposed it is meant to be 'easy' if you're a Perl or regex guru. I am having problem understanding what regex to use :confused: The script does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)