Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wipe a Sunfire V480
Operating Systems Solaris Wipe a Sunfire V480 Post 302272269 by slowatsch on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 05:28:34 AM
Old 12-30-2008
Data

Update:

Well I tried to boot from CD now and I'm stuck on booting it. Yes I read the threads but somehow I didn't found my case.

I have the cdrom on the ide slot. Probe-ide shows:
Quote:
Device 0 ( Primary Master )
Removable ATAPI Model: TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-C2732
The disks are on the scsi bus.

I tryed to boot the system with "boot cdrom"
Error:
Quote:
Bad magic number in disk label (sometimes this error is missng, sometimes not)
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device
I read the last thread about it and tryed to find it in the OS... but well I somehow failed.

Format shows:
Quote:
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c1t0d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
/pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/ssd@w2100000087850350,0
1. c1t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
/pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/ssd@w210000008783f106,0
ls /dev/dsk/ :
Quote:
c0t0d0s0 c0t0d0s3 c0t0d0s6 c1t0d0s1 c1t0d0s4 c1t0d0s7 c1t1d0s2 c1t1d0s5
c0t0d0s1 c0t0d0s4 c0t0d0s7 c1t0d0s2 c1t0d0s5 c1t1d0s0 c1t1d0s3 c1t1d0s6
c0t0d0s1 c0t0d0s4 c0t0d0s7 c1t0d0s2 c1t0d0s5 c1t1d0s0 c1t1d0s3 c1t1d0s6
But I can't find the right device in /dev/rdsk/... I tried ct0d0s6 but no success.

It's a burned CD, but I also tried it with a DVD and a pressed CD. Always no success.

Well I need a way to wipe this machine soon, because I should sell it asap Smilie

But there is no way without CD right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

V480 w/ Solaris 9 boot problem

Our V480 w/ Solaris 9 would not boot properly. After recreating the LUNs on our StorEdge A1000, and then performing a reboot, the machine just keep cycling through the boot process. No error messages, it keeps trying to reboot over and over again. Any ideas? We managed to do a stop+a and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
6 Replies

2. Solaris

What do you use to wipe your disks?

What are y'all using to wipe your solaris disks? I am being question by IT Security, what I am using to wipe disk. Is anyone using a 3rd party utility? I have used the format utility in solaris previously. But they are looking for something commercial that I can use. Anyone have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Telnet issue E5500/V480

Our old E5500 was just turned off (planned :rolleyes: ) and the application was moved to a V480. Now if I login to the V480 and try to sudo to root my connection hangs, and I can not telnet to the E5500 after it was powered on again. I get "connection refused". Telnet to this machine was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
5 Replies

4. Solaris

PCI slot info on V480/V490

Hi, How can I know slot wise info on a sun v480 box. I want to have the details like which slot has which card (slot 1- HBA, slot 2 - quad NIC) .. I know that sysdef, prtconf or prtdiag outputs will help to get this. But I dont know how to conclude from those outputs. Can anybody help me to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu2020
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reommendations for hp-ux wipe software

I am looking for software to do DoD compiliant wipes on Hp-Ux. Thank you in advance for any recommendations provided. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim15800
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wipe software for Hp-ux

I am looking for recommendations on DOD compliante software to wipe disk on HP-UX. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim15800
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 on v480 & v490

Hello, Can any kind soul please answer this? I want to boot a SunFire v490 with a dvd image we use to boot v480's. Is this possible? Are there caveats to doing this? Thanks muchly, mgb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgb
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

How do I wipe stdout?

Today I used Terminal (invoked from Mac OS X 10.4.11) to view some data that is secured by a password. After exiting Terminal, it occurred to me that a vestige of the data displayed on my screen might reside in memory or in disk file ... the actual file used for stdout, for example. Do I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcollins
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Wipe tool for HP-UX

Hi, Please suggest wipe tool for hp-ux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris box completely wipe

HI, I woluld like to know is it possible to boot solairs into single usermode from cd and using format -> purge command to wipe all the disk? please suggest or any other method ? my requirement is to completely wipe solaris box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)