Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace one or more tabs with commas Post 302272250 by pludi on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 04:06:12 AM
Old 12-30-2008
If given a file in the format
Code:
Test1	Test2	Test 3	Test 4

running
Code:
cat test.txt | sed -e 's/\t\+/,/g'

should do the trick.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Tabs

I am on AIX 5.1 If I have a crontab that looks like this 01 1 * * 6 What does the 6 mean ? if the * means that everyday it should run then why would the 6th day be signified ? Shouldn't it be a * also? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing log files, removing spaces and replace with commas

Hello all i am working on a database to import log files from my systems, but i cannot seem to find the answer. I searched here for a good bit and couldnt peice together what i was looking for. I know you could do this with awk, i just dont know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

too many tabs

Hi, I have a file that has too many tabs between columns. I cannot get the tabs out. Basically the tab between column 1 and 2 are fine but between 2/3, 3/4 etc are like 5 tabs. How do I get rid of these 5 tabs so its just 1 tab. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace spaces/tabs with delimiter |

Hi, I'm looking for a command that replaces spaces/tabs with pipe symbol and store the result to the same file instead of routing it to another file. infile outfile Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace but skip data between certain commas

OK, I am one needy dude. However, how can I make the program NOT change any of the values BETWEEN the first and second "," ? I dont want any of the numbers changed that are preceded by "AT". I want ALL other numeric values > 300 changed to 300. cat qin.csv |head... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace field with commas with field without commas

Hey guys, I have the following text: 1,2,3,4,5,6,'NULL','when',NULL,1,2,0,'NULL' 1,2,3,4,5,6,'NULL','what','NULL',1,2,0,1 I need the same text with the word NULL without commas u know something like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,NULL,'when',NULL,1,2,0,NULL 1,2,3,4,5,6,NULL,'what','NULL',1,2,0,1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lmyk72
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace commas with newlines

Good afternoon, I am trying to read user input. Here is what I have so far: echo "Type the Container ID for every container that you want subnets exported" echo "for (with comma between each one, for example... 1,45,98)" echo -n "if you want every one listed, then just type ALL in caps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK or SED. Need to replace the commas between double quotes in CSV file

Hello experts, I need to validate a csv file which contains data like this: Sample.csv "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 I just need to check if all the records contain exactly the number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inverted commas replace

Hi, My input file is like this chr1 + "NM_1234" chr1 - "NM_1234" If I want my third column to contain both the first and second column values, how do I do it? I know how to do it by including the column numbers, but I want the values before the inverted commas. So, my output would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies
fspec(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the HP-UX system with non-standard tabs, (meaning tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Generally, such files must be converted to a standard format - frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate num- ber of spaces - before they can be processed by HP-UX system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets and Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: The parameter specifies tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: 1. A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns; 2. A followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns; 3. A followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by or equivalently, etc. Recognized canned tabs are defined by the command (see tabs(1)). The parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is inserted at the beginning of the line. The parameter specifies a number of spaces to be inserted at the beginning of each line. The value of margin must be an integer. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values (assumed for parameters not supplied) are and If the parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the parameter. Several HP-UX system commands correctly interpret the format specification for a file. Among them is which can be used to convert files to a standard format acceptable to other HP-UX system commands. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1). fspec(4)