Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace one or more tabs with commas Post 302272250 by pludi on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 04:06:12 AM
Old 12-30-2008
If given a file in the format
Code:
Test1	Test2	Test 3	Test 4

running
Code:
cat test.txt | sed -e 's/\t\+/,/g'

should do the trick.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Tabs

I am on AIX 5.1 If I have a crontab that looks like this 01 1 * * 6 What does the 6 mean ? if the * means that everyday it should run then why would the 6th day be signified ? Shouldn't it be a * also? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing log files, removing spaces and replace with commas

Hello all i am working on a database to import log files from my systems, but i cannot seem to find the answer. I searched here for a good bit and couldnt peice together what i was looking for. I know you could do this with awk, i just dont know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

too many tabs

Hi, I have a file that has too many tabs between columns. I cannot get the tabs out. Basically the tab between column 1 and 2 are fine but between 2/3, 3/4 etc are like 5 tabs. How do I get rid of these 5 tabs so its just 1 tab. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace spaces/tabs with delimiter |

Hi, I'm looking for a command that replaces spaces/tabs with pipe symbol and store the result to the same file instead of routing it to another file. infile outfile Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace but skip data between certain commas

OK, I am one needy dude. However, how can I make the program NOT change any of the values BETWEEN the first and second "," ? I dont want any of the numbers changed that are preceded by "AT". I want ALL other numeric values > 300 changed to 300. cat qin.csv |head... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace field with commas with field without commas

Hey guys, I have the following text: 1,2,3,4,5,6,'NULL','when',NULL,1,2,0,'NULL' 1,2,3,4,5,6,'NULL','what','NULL',1,2,0,1 I need the same text with the word NULL without commas u know something like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,NULL,'when',NULL,1,2,0,NULL 1,2,3,4,5,6,NULL,'what','NULL',1,2,0,1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lmyk72
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace commas with newlines

Good afternoon, I am trying to read user input. Here is what I have so far: echo "Type the Container ID for every container that you want subnets exported" echo "for (with comma between each one, for example... 1,45,98)" echo -n "if you want every one listed, then just type ALL in caps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK or SED. Need to replace the commas between double quotes in CSV file

Hello experts, I need to validate a csv file which contains data like this: Sample.csv "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 I just need to check if all the records contain exactly the number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inverted commas replace

Hi, My input file is like this chr1 + "NM_1234" chr1 - "NM_1234" If I want my third column to contain both the first and second column values, how do I do it? I know how to do it by including the column numbers, but I want the values before the inverted commas. So, my output would... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies
Text::Tabs(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					 Text::Tabs(3perl)

NAME
Text::Tabs -- expand and unexpand tabs per the unix expand(1) and unexpand(1) SYNOPSIS
use Text::Tabs; $tabstop = 4; # default = 8 @lines_without_tabs = expand(@lines_with_tabs); @lines_with_tabs = unexpand(@lines_without_tabs); DESCRIPTION
Text::Tabs does about what the unix utilities expand(1) and unexpand(1) do. Given a line with tabs in it, expand will replace the tabs with the appropriate number of spaces. Given a line with or without tabs in it, unexpand will add tabs when it can save bytes by doing so (just like "unexpand -a"). Invisible compression with plain ASCII! EXAMPLE
#!perl # unexpand -a use Text::Tabs; while (<>) { print unexpand $_; } Instead of the "expand" comand, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print expand $_' Instead of the "unexpand -a" command, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print unexpand $_' LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2002,2005,2006 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2005 Aristotle Pagaltzis This module may be modified, used, copied, and redistributed at your own risk. Publicly redistributed modified versions must use a different name. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 Text::Tabs(3perl)