Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH quoting behavior
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH quoting behavior Post 302272145 by na5m on Monday 29th of December 2008 08:51:36 PM
Old 12-29-2008
BASH quoting behavior

The block below isn't a surprise:
Code:
$ ls
file1 file2 file3
$ x=*
$ echo $x
file1 file2 file3
$ echo '$x'
$x
$ echo "$x"
$

But I found this block a bit bewildering:
Code:
$ echo $x'
>'

$

I'm wondering why substitution wasn't performed on the $x, since it was unquoted (as far as I can tell). Thanks to the guru who can shed light on this one Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mimic bash history behavior

Does anyone know of a way to mimic the up arrow/down arrow type bash behavior within a shell script? Say I have a scripted menu, and would like to be able to up arrow to bring up the last X number of lines of user input? Thanks to anybody with a suggestion. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting issue: Trouble with bash strings in script

I can do this on the command line: sqsh -S 192.168.x.x -o tmp -U user -P fakepass -D horizon -C "\ select second_id from borrower where btype like '%wsd%' " I can also just leave the SQL at the end intact on one line .... ... However, when I throw this in a script like: $SQSH -o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: correct quoting with find and exiv2?

Hi, I need to embed a metatag to image files which contain qrcodes, i usually do this with exiv -M "set Exif.Image.DocumentName `zbarimg -q -Sdisable -Sqrcode.enable --raw image.tif`" image.tif which works fine. However I need to do this recursivly for whole directory and subdiretory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcframe
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

BASH command not found strang behavior

Hi all I am relatively new to linux (specifically red hat). I have installed Fedora 13 on my machine and started playing with the terminal when i found a very strange behavior when typing a command that is not found: the terminal does not prompt me back. In other words, i am logged as root (or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Different redirection behavior in BASH/Linux when run under cron vice login ???

run_xfs_fsr is a xfs filesystem maintenance script designed to run under cron. The system is a home theater personal computer running mythbuntu 10.10, and is accessed remotely for these tests. cron runs a script, (xfs_fsr.sh) at 02:30 that runs the subject script under BASH and sets the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keepitsimpleeng
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unexpected behavior bash, set -o vi, history -a, and HISTFILE

I am trying to get my history in sync in multiple bash sections and things aren't working the way I expect. Desired behavior, hitting esc-K in all bash sessions (same userid and machine) will use the same history. Observed behavior: Esc-k shows the history of the current session, rather than... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gg48gg
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky BASH quoting question

I have some data files that I can identify by a certain pattern in the names using find. Every one of those data files has an XML file associated with it (can be multiple data files per XML file). The XML file is always up one directory from the data file(s) in a folder calledRun##### -... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash quoting

I am trying to write a BASH script that will prompt a user to enter a number of days, then calculate the date. My problem is the date command uses single or double quotes. For Example.. date -d "7 days" Here is an example of some same code I am trying to work through. echo "when do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javajockey
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash : While Loop behavior

Good Morning I think there may be something I dont understand fully. The following code works well, but I dont like the set domen method. #!/bin/bash # domen="y" while do echo " M A I N - M E N U" echo "1. Contents of /etc/passwd" echo "2. List of users currently logged" echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)