Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remote Backups to a Tape
Operating Systems Solaris Remote Backups to a Tape Post 302271930 by otheus on Monday 29th of December 2008 05:35:32 AM
Old 12-29-2008
The dump/restore routines have a built-in rsh handler for execution on other boxes, and rsh knows how to interpret DEV:. The mt program does not, so that the DEV: syntax means nothing to it.

You'll need to run rsh or ssh like this:
Code:
rsh HOST -l USERNAME -n mt -f /dev/rmt/0/status

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple backups on one tape

For those with backup tapes (and I just bought and installed a Seagate one for my FreeBSD box) I want to know how to get the most out of each tape by placing multiple backups on each tape (potentially 20GB). Please correct me if I'm wrong: First, retension the tape: # mt retension next, turn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
3 Replies

2. AIX

backups getting it so the tape doesn't rew.

Currently am running the backup command for AIX 5L and see that the tape is rewinding after the completion of the back. backup -0 -u -f /dev/rmt0 / >> $file 2>&1 What can I do to stop allow the backup to rew after the completion of this job? Any thoughts? Thanks again. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinburbridge
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

verifying tape backups

Hello all, how would i go about verifying that a tape is backing up data correctly other than restoring the backup. for example, what command would i use to check the tape for errors? Any and all help is appreciated -Coffee (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coffeebrown
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drives used for taking backups

Hi, I am a abit new in AIX system administration field. I want to gather knowledge about backup techniques. As per my knowledge we use Tape archives for taking backups. Can anyone pls explain me in detail abt tape archive? Whether these tape archives come along with the systems or we have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsrahul
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to optimize our tape backups ?

Hi, I am currently looking at how we can optimize and speed up our backups here. I am just a beginner operator and our system admin hardly knows anything (long term interim). There is this particular TAR backup of DB backups that for a 10.5Gb amount of files, it takes 5 hours to do the backup on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
6 Replies

6. AIX

Tape backups: do you always verify them after doing them ?

It may seam a bit odd that I ask this question. After you have done your backups to tapes, do you verify the content of the tapes ? - never - sometimes - always The reason I am asking is that here in the office, all the backup procedures include verifying the content of the tapes (no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about a tape write error doing backups

Hello all. UNIX dummy here :p Anyway I was trying to do a full backup of my work server SUN SPARC SERVER 1000 machine (yes we are actually using this dinosaur). I did the ufsdump comand and everything was fine until I got to the dumping of regular files. During the run I got the following... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammerva
7 Replies

8. SCO

SCO tape backups won't restore in Ubuntu Linux environment

Hello folks. I have the following problem: I'm trying to create a tape backup of a list of files on a 10 year old server, running SCO Openserver 5.0.5 (the tape drive is a Seagate STD224000N, connected as a SCSI drive). I then want to restore the contents of this tape onto a new server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: klabelkholosh
6 Replies

9. AIX

Best method to encrypt AIX LTO6 tape backups?

Hello, I need to be able to encrypt LTO tapes that our AIX writes to for backups. We have a tape library (IBM TS3100) that our AIX host uses to write to LTO6 tapes. We then take those tapes off-site and restore to another AIX system using a 3580-H6S LTO6 tape drive - this is a very simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)