Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to select the *.txt files using Loops Post 302271385 by kumar16 on Thursday 25th of December 2008 07:56:15 AM
Old 12-25-2008
How to select the *.txt files using Loops

Hi,

I need to select the txt files from one folder and pass this filename as parameter and the loop should discontinue after all the files are selected and the iteration should continue only once..

Viz., i have files like abc_2005_f1.txt, abc_2006_f1.txt, abc_2007_f1.txt... in /data folder.

I need to select this filename from the folder and pass this as parameter to other function inside the loop. viz.,
msh samplefile.msh abc_2005_f1.txt
msh samplefile.msh abc_2006_f1.txt...Like this the loop should continue and end after the last file..
Can you guide me in making the script..

Thanks,
Kumar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mutiple For loops - moving files to another directory

I need to clean out some application subdirectories from backup scripts we used to rename to various backup extensions just in case the script failed in production and we need to rollback. I will be moving these old scripts to a staging directory and then removing them after 30 days (I have the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi , I just found you while surfing for the string 'Redirecting sql select query output from within a shell script to txt file/excel file' Could you find time sending me the code for the above question? It'll be great help for me. I have a perl file that calls the sql file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi Yogesh, Lucky that i caught you online. Yeah i read about DBI and the WriteExcel module. But the server is not supporting these modules. It said..."Cannot locate DBI"..."Cannot locate Spreadsheet::WriteExcel" I tried creating a simple text file to get the query output, but the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

4. Solaris

list files .txt and .TXT in one command

Dear experts, In a directory i have both *.TXT and *.txt files. I have a script- for file in `ls *.txt`; do mv $file /tmp/$file How to list both *.txt and*.TXT file in one command so that script will move both .txt or .TXT whatever it find. br//purple (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select some lines from a txt file and create a new file with awk

Hi there, I have a text file with several colums separated by "|;#" I need to search the file extracting all columns starting with the value of "1" or "2" saving in a separate file just the first 7 columns of each row maching the criteria, with replacement of the saparators in the nearly created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested for loops for checking duplicate files

I am very new to bash scripting and this is my first script. I am trying to write a script that takes an argument d as the directory. It looks through the files to find duplicates and delete them. Here's some sorta-pseudocode but am unsure how to implement it: #! /bin/bash #get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubham92
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

awk using 2 input files instead of while loops

Hi Friends, I have two files as input with data that looks like this: file1.txt 1 2 3 4 file2.txt a,aa b,bb c,cc d,dd e,ee f,ff instead of me doing 2 while loops to get the combinations while read line_file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select text between current date and output to new txt file

Hi guys, brand new to this thread and very very new to UNIX...so go easy please! Anyway I have a file that looks like this: >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date/Time/Eng. : 2012-06-22 / 00:26 / DS Reported problem : (SD) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested loops for copying files on different machines

I want to run nested loop inside shell script using which I want to copy files on diff machines on round robin basis.Number of machiines is fixed as 4 but number of files may vary. For eg. Files: f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6 Machines: M1,M2,M3,M4 M1 - f1 M2 - f2 M3 - f3 M4 - f4 M1 - f5 M2 - f6 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baig_1988
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two txt files,mismatches will be in new txt files

Hi, Below are the sample data for txt files. txt file 1 Partnumber|catgroup_id 10001082|46016 10001093|4680 10001093|386003 10001093|463004 10003251|683 10003251|63005 10003252|463005 10003252|4683 10003260|463005 10003260|4683 10003264|4683 10003264|463005 13420000|67... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankita Talukdar
5 Replies
MSH(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    MSH(1)

NAME
msh - nmh shell (and BBoard reader) SYNOPSIS
msh [-prompt string] [-scan | -noscan] [-topcur | -notopcur] [file] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
msh is an interactive program that implements a subset of the normal nmh commands operating on a single file in packf'dformat. That is, msh is used to read a file that contains a number of messages, as opposed to the standard nmh style of reading a number of files, each file being a separate message in a folder. msh's chief advantage is that the normal nmh style does not allow a file to have more than one mes- sage in it. Hence, msh is ideal for reading BBoards, as these files are delivered by the transport system in this format. In addition, msh can be used on other files, such as message archives which have been packed (see packf(1)). Finally, msh is an excellent nmh tutor. As the only commands available to the user are nmh commands, this allows nmh beginners to concentrate on how commands to nmh are formed and (more or less) what they mean. When invoked, msh reads the named file, and enters a command loop. The user may type most of the normal nmh commands. The syntax and semantics of these commands typed to msh are identical to their nmh counterparts. In cases where the nature of msh would be inconsistent (e.g., specifying a +folder with some commands), msh will duly inform the user. The commands that msh currently supports (in some slightly modified or restricted forms) are: ali burst comp dist folder forw inc mark mhmail mhn msgchk next packf pick prev refile repl rmm scan send show sortm whatnow whom In addition, msh has a help command which gives a brief overview. To terminate msh, type CTRL-D, or use the quit command. If the file is writable and has been modified, then using quit will query the user if the file should be updated. The -prompt string switch sets the prompting string for msh. You may wish to use an alternate nmh profile for the commands that msh executes; see mh-profile(5) for details about the $MH environment variable. The exit command is identical to the quit command in msh. msh supports an output redirection facility. Commands may be followed by one of ^> file~^write output to file ^>> file~^append output to file ^| command~^pipe output to UNIX command If file starts with a " " (tilde), then a csh-like expansion takes place. Note that command is interpreted by sh. Also note that msh does NOT support history substitutions, variable substitutions, or alias substitutions. When parsing commands to the left of any redirection symbol, msh will honor `' (back-slash) as the quote next-character symbol, and `"' (double-quote) as quote-word delimiters. All other input tokens are separated by whitespace (spaces and tabs). FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Msg-Protect: To set mode when creating a new `file' fileproc: Program to file messages showproc: Program to show messages SEE ALSO
packf(1) DEFAULTS
`file' defaults to "./msgbox" `-prompt (msh) ' `-noscan' `-notopcur' CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -prompt switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes msh. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside double-quotes. There is a strict limit of messages per file in packf'd format which msh can handle. Usually, this limit is 1000 messages. Please remember that msh is not the C-Shell, and that a lot of the nice facilities provided by the latter are not present in the former. In particular, msh does not understand back-quoting, so the only effective way to use pick inside msh is to always use the -seq select switch. Clever users of nmh will put the line pick: -seq select -list in their .mh_profile file so that pick works equally well from both the shell and msh. sortm always uses -noverbose and if -textfield field is used, -limit 0. The msh program inherits most (if not all) of the bugs from the nmh commands it implements. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MSH(1)