Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tail command not show on screen Post 302271234 by joeyg on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 09:57:45 AM
Old 12-24-2008
Tools why the -f

The -f will try to keep the file open. If this is the case, then next commands might never be executed.
For instance...
Code:
> tail -f file125 | grep "1.000" ; echo "done"

I will never see the "done", since tail is always running

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command

Hi , I have found a interesting thing about tail command: when I tried to use 'tail -1 *' to look at every file with the current derectory, I only got one line of result of one file. But if I use 'head -1 *', I would get multiple lines. Is there a way to do get multiple lines with 'tail -1 *'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show date/time with tail|grep command

Hi, I have a log file without date/time, and I want that everytime tail|grep find something it displays the date/time and the line. I have tried something like this command but without any luck to display the date/time: tail -F catalina.out | sed "s/^/`date `/" | egrep ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: julugu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tail command

Hi All, My query seems to be silly but Iam unable to find where the exact problem lies. I have a script to unzip set of files here is the script #!/bin/ksh Count=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile | wc -l` while do Filename=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile |tail -$Count | head -1` cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command help

Hi does anyone know how to create a file using the tail command? My book has this file I need to create and it says to use the tail command and that it is possible but I have no idea. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use “tail -f” to monitor and report, but the top line should be always fixed on the screen.

Title: Use “tail -f” to monitor and report, but the top line should be always fixed on the screen. Hi, dear Unix experts, I am trying to find a Unix command (or scripting) on how to continuously display a text file of its last several lines of contents. But during this displaying, I want some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: df3c
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading show garbage on the screen

I have PHP code for downloading pdf files from mysql database. The code is working fine in firefox mozilla and google chrome but not in IE 10, it show garbage in the screen. I have debugged the code with some headers utilities to examine the headers request, it appear the headers is not sending... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadinetcat
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
TRACE-CMD(1)															      TRACE-CMD(1)

NAME
trace-cmd - interacts with Ftrace Linux kernel internal tracer SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd COMMAND [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) command interacts with the Ftrace tracer that is built inside the Linux kernel. It interfaces with the Ftrace specific files found in the debugfs file system under the tracing directory. A COMMAND must be specified to tell trace-cmd what to do. COMMANDS
record - record a live trace and write a trace.dat file to the local disk or to the network. report - reads a trace.dat file and converts the binary data to a ASCII text readable format. hist - show a histogram of the events. options - list the plugin options that are available to *report* start - start the tracing without recording to a trace.dat file. stop - stop tracing (only disables recording, overhead of tracer is still in effect) extract - extract the data from the kernel buffer and create a trace.dat file. reset - disables all tracing and gives back the system performance. (clears all data from the kernel buffers) split - splits a trace.dat file into smaller files. list - list the available plugins or events that can be recorded. listen - open up a port to listen for remote tracing connections. restore - restore the data files of a crashed run of trace-cmd record stack - run and display the stack tracer check-events - parse format strings for all trace events and return whether all formats are parseable OPTIONS
-h, --help Display the help text. Other options see the man page for the corresponding command. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-hist(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-restore(1), trace-cmd-stack(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1), trace-cmd.dat(5), trace-cmd-check-events(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD(1)