Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace symbols by position using SED Post 302271168 by nypreH on Wednesday 24th of December 2008 03:58:10 AM
Old 12-24-2008
How to replace symbols by position using SED

Hi all,

I need your help.

For example I have string in file.txt:
-x -a /tmp/dbarchive_NSS_20081204 -f 900 -l 1 2008/12/04 2008/12/04

So, I need to replace symbols from (for e.g.) position 26 till 33 with symbols which I have in file replace.txt

And I have no idea how to do it.
If anybody can help me I will be very appreciative

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Roman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

new lines symbols in sed?

I want to edit a huge script file using sed. How can I add the new lines symbols in the red colored places? sed -e "s/test -z "$x"/if test -z "$x" then echo -1; \n else \n/g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gogogo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed position specific replace

I'm drawing a blank on how to use sed to replace selectively based on position in the string (vs nth occurence): hello.|there.|how.|are.|you.| I want the period removed in the 3rd item (as defined by the pipe delimiter) if a period is present. So the result in this case would be: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in a specific position

I asked this before, but my problem got more complicated. Heres what I am trying to do: I'm trying to replace a string at a certain location with another string. Heres the file I'm trying to change: \E I want to replace the escape code at the 3rd line, 2nd column with this escape code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command for removing symbols

Hi I am trying to remove all the symbols in a file (testfile1) and using the below command to do that. Its not working for me. Can you help me on what is wrong with below script? I want to retain only alphabets in a file and remove all the symbols like *:.+= etc sed 's/^.//g' testfile1 > testfile2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed, how replace specific symbols between two patterns

I have a big xmltv file with many lines like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tv> <channel id="channel 1 +3HD"> <display-name lang="it">channel +3HD</display-name> <icon src="http://mywebsite.com/dsgbnjfdc65657/channel +3HD.png" /> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing unwanted symbols with sed

I would like produce blue, green, red, yellowfrom"blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellowI can remove the colon with echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'which givesblue,*green,*red,*yellowbut when I try echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'; 's/*//g'I get bash: s/*//g: No such... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
9 Replies
RE(1)							      General Commands Manual							     RE(1)

NAME
re - programm to conver russian texts between different encodings SYNOPSIS
re <infile><outfile><infrmt><outfrmt><f|b|s><u|l|s> DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. re is a program that converts russian texts between encodings. OPTIONS
The easiest way to convert some file into readable form (KOI-8), just type this: re <SourceFile> <DestFile> ? K where : <SourceFile> - unreadable file <DestFile> - resulting file ? - tells RE that source codepage is unknown and RE should analyze the file and determine the source codepage K - tells RE that destination codepage is KOI-8 Note: If you know, what is source codepage, you may use it instead of "?" option. For example, you want to convert letter.txt file which was written in Win you know, that this file is in 1251 codepage: re letter.txt letter2.txt W K Now examine the letter2.txt - you should see russian symbols in KOI-8. Here is the know codepages list and their abbreviatures: W - Windows 1251 "_" - _xxe D - Dos "%" - %hex K - KOI-8 "\" - 'hex L - Latin G - Graph_win I - Iso "<" - <binhex> H - HEX + - +UTF7- S - ShiftKbrd C - C_MIC M - Mac Y - Y_c16 A - AFF Z - Z_c32 O - Odd(UTF8_1) F - F(UTF8_2) B - Base64 P - Pict E - Express N - N_Estl T - T-Html V - V_Vpp855 U - User X - X_sp "-" - uue J - J_diff Other options are: [-v][-E|-R|-N][-e|-s] -v - tells what is processing -n - don't tells what is processing (default) -E - converts all p,H from Russian to English -R - converts all p,H from English to Russian -N - lets all p,H Russian or English as in text (default) -e - converts all symbols 0x80 - 0xFF -s - converts only 64 symbols of Russian Alphabet (default) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 21, 2000 RE(1)