Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Redirect an application with a Serial connection Post 302270617 by reborg on Monday 22nd of December 2008 10:18:23 AM
Old 12-22-2008
The 490 uses an RSC card, so this doesn't work and it sounds like it's simple the default RSC (unconfigured) prompt. You need to connect to the serial port (ttyA), install the OS and the RSC software to do the initial configuration onf the RSC, however if you simply want to set the input and output you will get the ok prompt from the serial port.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redirect connection

I have two UX servers ( eg. Server A , Server B ) , the users use Netterm as emulator to telnet to connect to these servers , each server have assigned a dedicated IP address ( eg. Server A --> 192.168.1.1 , Server B --> 192.168.1.2 ) , now if a user want to connect Server A , he need to telnet to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux serial connection question

Hi, I need to connect from an hp-ux box to a device that only have a serial port. When I need to do that from solaris to that device I used put a null modem and type tip hardwire, but I'm new with hp-ux and I don't have the tip command. Any idea? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

ip communication through serial connection

I have serial modem connection between two computers. We have to login the remote computer through ip address. How can I get the ip address in this connection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
1 Replies

4. Solaris

USB to Serial Adapter connection

Hi Community, I'm working on Sun Server V490 with my PC (with OS Vista). I'm using a USB to Serial Adapter to connect to Server directly. I've this problem, I'm connecting to Server with Putty client with this settings: boud rate 9600, 8 bit, 0 parity, 0 flow control, but after to have typed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
4 Replies

5. AIX

serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box But i dont have telephone line. when I run the command # cu -l /dev/tty1 the output is as follows does it mean that my modem is responding to the command? can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine? Connected ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serial Connection sun blade 100 to pc

Hi, If someone please help as my efforts been exhausted in connecting my sun blade 100 serial to my pc. I am using null modem with DB9(female) in sun blade and DB9(female, using gender change) in pc. I am trying both hyper/putty 9600 8 N 1 configurations. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younics
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Putty Serial Connection problems

Hi forums, I was wondering if any of you have faced this problem that I have been having for quite some time now regarding serial connection with putty to my Solaris Box Sunfire v250 and Sun v220 and sun v440. The serial connection freezes on my Windows 7 64 and 32 Bit machines. I unplug and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
3 Replies
ports(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  ports(7)

NAME
ports, port_names - Device (tty and lp) names for serial and parallel ports SYNOPSIS
Default Serial Ports: /dev/tty00 /dev/tty01 (not present on a single-port system) Parallel Port: /dev/lp0 DESCRIPTION
AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems provide one or two 9-pin serial communication ports. These ports are usually labelled 1 (COMM1) and 2 (COMM2), but they may be identified by different icons. Using the appropriate serial cable and terminator, you can connect a serial printer, external modem, or character-cell terminal to a serial port. Most AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems also provide one parallel port, for use with a parallel printer. When you add a device to your system, the installation documentation may instruct you to map the device pathname to the port. These devices are located in the /dev directory. For serial-line ports, the two default device pathnames are: This pathname always maps to 1, COMM1, the lowest port number, an icon for a terminal console, or the only serial port (on a single-port system). This pathname always maps to 2, COMM2, the next numbered port, or (if one serial port is labeled with an icon for a terminal console) the remaining serial port. If your system hardware has been extended to include additional serial ports, the pathnames /dev/tty02, /dev/tty03, and so forth, may also be available to you. However, most systems have only /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 as the device pathnames for serial ports. The one parallel port on an AlphaStation or AlphaServer may be labeled with the word printer or a printer icon. On some systems, the paral- lel port may not be labeled. The device pathname for the parallel port is /dev/lp0. Currently, Tru64 UNIX does not fully support parallel printers, so fewer devices are connected to this port as compared to serial ports. If you are connecting a terminal console to your system, it must be connected to the serial port mapped to /dev/tty00. For other serial devices, it does not matter which of the serial ports you choose for the connection. For example, suppose you are setting up a system that has two serial ports, labeled 1 and 2. You intend to use a serial-line terminal rather than a workstation monitor as the system console and also want to connect a serial-line printer to the system. In this case, you must connect the terminal to the port labeled 1 (with the device pathname /dev/tty00). Therefore, you must connect the printer to the remaining port labeled 2 (with the device pathname /dev/tty01). If, for the same type of system, you intend to use a workstation monitor as the system console, it does not matter which serial port you use for a serial-line printer or modem. In other words, you can connect the printer to either port 1 (with pathname /dev/tty00) or port 2 (with pathname /dev/tty01). When prompted to enter a /dev/tty** pathname by the lprsetup script or the Print configuration tool in the CDE Application Manager, you would specify /dev/tty00 if you connected the printer to port 1 or /dev/tty01 if you connected the printer to port 2. See the System Administration manual for more information on setting up consoles (including remote consoles) and printers. See the modem(7) reference page for more information on setting up modems. SEE ALSO
Commands: lprsetup(8) Devices: ace(7), modem(7) System Administration delim off ports(7)