Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: auto increment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting auto increment Post 302270435 by Christoph Spohr on Sunday 21st of December 2008 09:28:07 PM
Old 12-21-2008
Simpler and in sed:

Code:
sed -n "$line{n;p}" file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment a Variable

hi, i want to increment a Variable but it doesnt work. here my codé COUNT=1 COUNT= 'expr $COUNT + 1' i've tried it in the prompt but it print me: expr: syntaxerror What does I make wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cengiz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment an integer

hi I want to echo the variable $i while it auto-increments till 21 I set initially i to 1 any idea how to do that? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date increment

hi Friends, Today_Dt=`date "+%Y-%m-%d"` So the Today date is 2010-05-03 I have a file which has date values as below 2010-04-27 2010-04-02 2010-04-18 2010-04-28 2010-04-29 .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment Gawk

Hi, I have a small query with gawk which i'm unsure how to solve. My csv input data is as follows: 1 58352.9 34549 -469.323 LINE_149 2 58352.9 34499 -469.323 LINE_149 3 58352.9 34549 -469.323 LINE_151 4 58352.9 34503.4 -489.841 LINE_151 5 58352.9 34549 -469.323 LINE_152 6 58352.9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need to auto increment

Hello, this is a VI question more than anything... I'm using: SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-04 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 I'm trying to find a problematic line(s) in a script. The only solution I can think of is to tag each repetative line, and increment it. This is an oracle insert script. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: graphi
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment time

I have to increment time ... by sec but i am getting the output like this. for m in {2..3} > do > for (( i = 1; i <= 13; i++ )) > do > echo "$m:$i" > done > done 2:1 2:2 2:3 2:4 2:5 2:6 2:7 2:8 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment the password value

I want a script which increments the count when the script runs. Basically I want to send an password reset email notification for an application, the password value should be keep on changing whenever the script is executed for example, first time i execute it should be password1, second time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAGADESH GN
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)