Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Using / Formating a Logical Partition as I cant see it Post 302270338 by Sun Fire on Sunday 21st of December 2008 06:50:01 AM
Old 12-21-2008
I'm not sure if I understand your problem properly.

See, physically how many disks you have ?

if it's just one disk, then through the format command, you have to assign the 30 GB to one of the slots, create newfs, then mount it, this is how you can see it in df -k.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. AIX

Increase a logical partition

hello I have a volume group of 737 Go (EMC) To add 250 Go, i split the 250 Go to 2*125 No problem to add in the volum group, but when i want to increase the size of the logical volume, i have the message : 0516-787 extendlv: Maximum allocation for logical volume simdatabaselv is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in creating logical partition

Dear Members, I am using SCO-Unix 5.0.5. I have created 2 logical drives but some of the blocks are overlapped and are now giving warning during startup. I have used fsck to settle the problems but to no avail. Kindly help me to sort out the problem. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendrajaiswal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to match a logical partition to a file

I would like to know how to identify which file a logical partition relates too. Operating System = AIX oslevel -s = 5300-04-CSP I've identified a logical volume that continually runs at 100% tm_acct from iostat. I've run lvmstat -l and identified the logical partition 590, being the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garry
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do logical AND and logical OR with grep

Hi can someone please help me on this. I need to perform this code: Grep any lines that meets the following criteria (A AND B) OR (A AND C) I tried this code, but it didn't work Grep-I "A &&B" | "A&&C" *.* $ thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
CCD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    CCD(4)

NAME
ccd -- Concatenated disk driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device ccd [count] DESCRIPTION
The ccd driver provides the capability of combining one or more disks/partitions into one virtual disk. This document assumes that you're familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and pseudo-devices in a kernel con- figuration file, and how to partition disks. Note that the 'raw' partitions of the disks must not be combined. Each component partition should be offset at least one cylinder from the beginning of the component disk. This avoids potential conflicts between the component disk's disklabel and the ccd's disklabel. The kernel will only allow component partitions of type FS_CCD. But for now, it allows partition of all types since some port lacks support of an on- disk BSD disklabel. The partition of FS_UNUSED may be rejected because device driver of component disk will refuse it. In order to compile in support for the ccd, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: pseudo-device ccd 4 # concatenated disk devices The count argument is how many ccds memory is allocated for at boot time. In this example, no more than 4 ccds may be configured. A ccd may be either serially concatenated or interleaved. To serially concatenate the partitions, specify the interleave factor of 0. If a ccd is interleaved correctly, a ``striping'' effect is achieved, which can increase performance. Since the interleave factor is expressed in units of DEV_BSIZE, one must account for sector sizes other than DEV_BSIZE in order to calculate the correct interleave. The kernel will not allow an interleave factor less than the size of the largest component sector divided by DEV_BSIZE. Note that best performance is achieved if all component disks have the same geometry and size. Optimum striping cannot occur with different disk types. Also note that the total size of concatenated disk may vary depending on the interleave factor even if the exact same components are concate- nated. And an old on-disk disklabel may be read after interleave factor change. As a result, the disklabel may contain wrong partition geometry and will cause an error when doing I/O near the end of concatenated disk. There is a run-time utility that is used for configuring ccds. See ccdconfig(8) for more information. WARNINGS
If just one (or more) of the disks in a non-mirrored ccd fails, the entire file system will be lost. FILES
/dev/{,r}ccd* ccd device special files. SEE ALSO
config(1), MAKEDEV(8), ccdconfig(8), fsck(8), mount(8), newfs(8) HISTORY
The concatenated disk driver was originally written at the University of Utah. BSD
March 5, 2004 BSD