Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [ ! -e a.log ] & [ ! -f a.log ] difference b/w these two Post 302269762 by himvat on Thursday 18th of December 2008 02:56:40 PM
Old 12-18-2008
[ ! -e a.log ] & [ ! -f a.log ] difference b/w these two

Code:
if [ ! -e a.log ]; then
        touch a.log
fi

if [ ! -f a.log ]; then
        touch a.log
fi

Hi ,

Are the above two meant for same purpose i.e finding & creating a.log ?

I would really appreciate if you could explain the purpose of " ! " & " -f "
in these .

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the time difference between two lines of the same log file

Hello Friends, I want to write a script for the following: nlscux62:tibprod> grep "2008 Apr 30 01:" SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2.log | grep -i post | more 2008 Apr 30 01:01:23:928 GMT +2 SAPAdapter.SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2 Info AER3-000095 IDOC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyakam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the log and display the time difference..

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. #!/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=$1 export primaryhost=$2 export sid=`echo $ORACLE_SID| tr ` RESULTFILE=/oracle/PC9/backupstatus_prod.log LOGP=`ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Analysis with AWK with Time difference

I would like to write a shell script that calculated the time difference bettween the log entries. If the time difference is higher as 200 sec. print the complette lines out. My Problem is, i am unable to jump in the next line and calculate the time difference. Thank you for your Help. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabian3010
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT Linux: RHEL 6.4 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015 I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I need a script that will run daily that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_job_admin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 way to save a log file, what is the difference?

Hello good day I would like to know what is the difference between these two commands please both warrant the output in the file echo " ORACLE_SID : $ORACLE_SID" | tee -a $logfile echo " ORACLE_SID : $ORACLE_SID" > $logfile (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)