Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [ ! -e a.log ] & [ ! -f a.log ] difference b/w these two Post 302269762 by himvat on Thursday 18th of December 2008 02:56:40 PM
Old 12-18-2008
[ ! -e a.log ] & [ ! -f a.log ] difference b/w these two

Code:
if [ ! -e a.log ]; then
        touch a.log
fi

if [ ! -f a.log ]; then
        touch a.log
fi

Hi ,

Are the above two meant for same purpose i.e finding & creating a.log ?

I would really appreciate if you could explain the purpose of " ! " & " -f "
in these .

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the time difference between two lines of the same log file

Hello Friends, I want to write a script for the following: nlscux62:tibprod> grep "2008 Apr 30 01:" SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2.log | grep -i post | more 2008 Apr 30 01:01:23:928 GMT +2 SAPAdapter.SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2 Info AER3-000095 IDOC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyakam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the log and display the time difference..

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. #!/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=$1 export primaryhost=$2 export sid=`echo $ORACLE_SID| tr ` RESULTFILE=/oracle/PC9/backupstatus_prod.log LOGP=`ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Analysis with AWK with Time difference

I would like to write a shell script that calculated the time difference bettween the log entries. If the time difference is higher as 200 sec. print the complette lines out. My Problem is, i am unable to jump in the next line and calculate the time difference. Thank you for your Help. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabian3010
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT Linux: RHEL 6.4 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015 I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I need a script that will run daily that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_job_admin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 way to save a log file, what is the difference?

Hello good day I would like to know what is the difference between these two commands please both warrant the output in the file echo " ORACLE_SID : $ORACLE_SID" | tee -a $logfile echo " ORACLE_SID : $ORACLE_SID" > $logfile (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies
svcdumplog(1m)															    svcdumplog(1m)

NAME
svcdumplog - Prints contents of a binary serviceability log file SYNOPSIS
svcdumplog [-s num_of_entries] logfile OPTIONS
The -s flag tells svcdumplog to skip the first num_of_entries log entries before printing, where num_of_entries is a number. DESCRIPTION
The svcdumplog program will print the contents of a binary log file. DCE components log important information about their activities and state via the DCE serviceability interface. The log messages can be routed as desired via the dcecp log object. The messages can also be written in either binary or in text format (information about specify- ing message format can be found in svcroute(5)). When binary format has been specified for a component's messages, each log entry will be written as a binary record of data defined (in dce/svclog.h) as the contents of the serviceability prolog structure. The svcdumplog utility will print the contents of such a binary log file as readable text. RELATED INFORMATION
dce_svc_log_get(3), dce_svc_log_close(3), dce_svc_log_open(3), dce_svc_log_rewind(3), svcroute(5), log(1m) Books: OSF DCE Porting and Testing Guide, OSF DCE Application Development Guide svcdumplog(1m)