Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help using top and ps
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help using top and ps Post 302269644 by shabs1985 on Thursday 18th of December 2008 06:58:22 AM
Old 12-18-2008
this is what happens when i type top -i,

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
25143 x 20 0 526m 198m 1048 R 100 5.0 21647:25 a.exe
25213 x 20 0 526m 201m 1048 R 100 5.1 21622:55 a.exe
25104 x 20 0 526m 199m 1048 R 98 5.0 21659:29 a.exe
32188 x 20 0 526m 201m 1048 R 98 5.1 54162:28 a.exe
29373 x 20 0 12808 1008 692 R 0 0.0 0:00.00 top

what i want is a command that will tell me the pid and where the specific program is running from, its location. thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. SCO

HP-UX top command

Is there a command in SCO Unix that does the same as the top command in HPUX. The command displays the jobs using the most system resources. Thanks You (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joestrosser
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX and 'top'

I've been working with an HP-UX system (RP5400 Series PA-RISC server) for about a year that hosts some middleware. The middleware sits between an Oracle DB (on another box) and the client applications running on about 800 PCs. From the beginning, I've noticed that 'top' reports between 0.0% and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The value in TOP command

https://www.unix.com/showpost.php?p=98416&postcount=8 Referring to the post above... what is the unit that is measured in the TOP command under LOAD? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickk
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to display and update information about the top processes on the system(like "top" in Unix ) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Using TOP

Hey guys, the top format in HP-UX has the size which is the total virtual size and the res which is the resident size. What are these size and res? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbn
1 Replies

7. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

8. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with top command

Currently when i run top command i get the following columns . CPU TTY PID USERNAME PRI NI SIZE RES STATE TIME %WCPU %CPU COMMAND In this how to remove '%WCPU' column ? Thanks very much in advance . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpravinraj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies
rtprio(1)						      General Commands Manual							 rtprio(1)

NAME
rtprio - execute process with real-time priority SYNOPSIS
priority command [arguments] priority command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with a real-time priority, or changes the real-time priority of currently executing process pid. Real-time priorities range from zero (highest) to 127 (lowest). Real-time processes are not subject to priority degradation, and are all of greater (schedul- ing) importance than non-real-time processes. See rtprio(2) for more details. If is specified instead of a real-time priority, executes command with a timeshare (non-real-time) priority, or changes the currently exe- cuting process pid from a possibly real-time priority to a timeshare priority. The former is useful to spawn a timeshare priority command from a real-time priority shell. If is not specified, command is not scheduled, or pid's real-time priority is not changed, if the user is not a member of a group having access and is not the user with appropriate privileges. When changing the real-time priority of a currently executing process, the effec- tive user ID of the calling process must be the user with appropriate privileges, or the real or effective user ID must match the real or saved user ID of the process to be modified. RETURN VALUE
returns exit status 0 if command is successfully scheduled or if pid's real-time priority is successfully changed, 1 if command is not exe- cutable or pid does not exist, and 2 if command (pid) lacks real-time capability, or the invoker's effective user ID is not a user who has appropriate privileges, or the real or effective user or the real or effective user ID does not match the real or saved user ID of the process being changed. EXAMPLES
Execute file at a real-time priority of 100: Set the currently running process pid 24217 to a real-time priority of 40: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), rtprio(2). rtprio(1)