Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: solaris 8 passwd
Operating Systems Solaris solaris 8 passwd Post 302269395 by jdfeathe on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 02:07:30 PM
Old 12-17-2008
Is suid set on /usr/bin/passwd?

-r-sr-sr-x 1 root sys 24400 Oct 6 2006 /usr/bin/passwd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Passwd History in Solaris 8

How to set passwd history feature in Solaris 8 to stop users from using their old passwords? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoorti
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dont have the root passwd for Solaris 8

Hello chiefs :) I have a SUN Enterprise 250, running Solaris 8.5 - I have managed to be able to connect a dumb terminal to the box via a standard straight-through rj45 cable, to my ibm laptop. OK so Putty can connect to the box via ssh - nice! But I dont have the password for root - or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change passwd remotely in solaris 10

i'm trying to change passwd remotely in unix (solaris) and tried using "expect" but it is not working. Any ideas to change the passwd remotely using a shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 passwd locked out − permission denied

Hi Gurus, i have ussers cannot change their passwords, neither can root change the user's password. O.S. Solaris 8 up−to−date on security patchaes as far as I know. Examples (names have been changed to protect the guilty): User logged on: $ passwd passwd: Changing password for <user>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raziayub
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 allow ssh login with empty passwd

I have turned off PermitEmptyPasswords in sshd_config, but a user with empty passwd (deleted by passwd -d user) can still login without password, why? it is big security concern, linux doesn't have the issue. $ uname -a SunOS 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris passwd problem

Hi, I am using solaris 10. i am facing a strange problem regarding os passwd. i have a user oracle with passwd abc123 when i open a putty session with the os using abc123 it logs on. but if i use abc123!@# it agian log on without passwd error. I came to know about the issue that if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
5 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris passwd script

Hello all, Since Solaris passwd does not have --stdin option can you advise how to change the password for 30 users with a script. The password can be the same one. I`ve tried already echoing, xargs, cat and similar. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
0 Replies

9. Solaris

snmp trap for passwd file deltas in solaris

Hello I am trying to monitor when a user account gets added to my solaris server. Does anyone know how I can set up an snmptrap for changes in the /etc/passwd file ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince2010
4 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
ADDING_USER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    ADDING_USER(8)

NAME
adding_user -- procedure for adding new users DESCRIPTION
A new user must choose a login name, which must not already appear in /etc/passwd or /etc/mail/aliases. It must also not begin with the hyphen '-' character. It is strongly recommended that it be all lower-case, and not contain the dot '.' character, as that tends to confuse mailers. An account can be added by editing a line into the passwd file; this must be done with the password file locked e.g. by using chpass(1) or vipw(8). A new user is given a group and user id. Login and user id's should be unique across the system, and often across a group of systems, since they are used to control file access. Typically, users working on similar projects will be put in the same groups. At the University of California, Berkeley, we have groups for system staff, faculty, graduate students, and special groups for large projects. A skeletal account for a new user ``ernie'' might look like: ernie::25:30::0:0:Ernie Kovacs,508 Evans Hall,x7925, 642-8202:/a/users/ernie:/bin/csh For a description of each of these fields, see passwd(5). It is useful to give new users some help in getting started, supplying them with a few skeletal files such as .profile if they use /bin/sh, or .cshrc and .login if they use /bin/csh. The directory /usr/share/skel contains skeletal definitions of such files. New users should be given copies of these files which, for instance, use tset(1) automatically at each login. FILES
/etc/master.passwd user database /usr/share/skel skeletal login directory SEE ALSO
chpass(1), finger(1), passwd(1), aliases(5), passwd(5), adduser(8), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) BSD
January 30, 2009 BSD