Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing strings in a log file and saves as a new csv Post 302269063 by Smiling Dragon on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 07:27:54 PM
Old 12-16-2008
to simply recplace all ',' characters with ';', you can use sed:
Code:
sed 's/,/;/g' < inputfile.log > outputfile.csv

To throw away everything up to the first slash, you can use sed again:
Code:
sed 's/^[^\/]*\///'

So that gives:
Code:
sed 's/^[^\/]*\///' < inputfile.log | sed 's/,/;/g' > outputfile.csv

But don't forget that this isn't much of a csv anymore without any commas to seperate things...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing commas with tilde in csv file.

hello all, i have a comma delimited file. i want to replace the commas in the file with the tilde symbol using sed. how can i do this? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: femig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with text from other file

Hi, Im trying to update some properties files with text from another file: file1 user=xyz file2 user= after script file2 user=xyz Im using this reading the $QUARTZURL,ETC... from quartz.properties: echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc1392
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing characters in csv file

Hello all, This is my first post here, so please excuse me if this question is too obvious or has been asked before. I am new to Unix and although I tried to search your forum for the answer to my question, I could not find an answer that would help me. I have a 500MB csv file with numeric values... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finwhiz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text in a .csv file using Perl

I have played with this for some time but i dont seem like i am getting it right. I am trying to change the delimiters on a file so i can import it into a database. this file has rows of data separated by enter Right now the delimiters are represented by tabs and " ". e.g. "dlfkldfs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: salemh
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing strings in csv file.

Hi, I have a problem.. 1) I have a file that contains the lines as below : VRF-TM_DummyLab/mse02.lab,mse02.lab,ge-2/0/7.222 VRF-EMS_HUAWEI_MSAN_208/mse01.lab,mse01.lab,xe-1/0/0.208 2) I need a method to read this file, line by line from :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msafwan82
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Strings in a File

I have a input file which looks like this: Value1="" Value2="" Value3="" ListOfValues=" $Value1 $Value2 $Value3" I have another program which computes the values ($val1, $val2, $val3). So if $val1 is 'A', $val2 is 'B' and $val3 is 'C', I should edit the input file so it will look like:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Strings in a File

I have a input file which looks like this: Value1="" Value2="" Value3="" ListOfValues=" $Value1 $Value2 $Value3" I have another program which computes the values ($val1, $val2, $val3). So if $val1 is 'A', $val2 is 'B' and $val3 is 'C', I should edit the input file so it will look like:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replacing the comma in .csv file in unix

Hi All, Could some one help me on one of my requirement below: I have a sequential file with 4fields in it and it is a comma (,) seperated file. Delimeter is 'comma'. But in of the file column for ex: 3rd column it is 'Description' (column name) I am getting the values with commas.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay_s
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding/replacing strings in some files based on a file

Hi, We have a file (e.g. a .csv file, but could be any other format), with 2 columns: the old value and the new value. We need to modify all the files within the current directory (including subdirectories), so find and replace the contents found in the first column within the file, with the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Talkabout
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)