Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting global variable not holding its value? Post 302268894 by Autocross.US on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 01:37:16 PM
Old 12-16-2008
If you run the for loop in a subshell, you can make that code work:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
TEST=1
(
 echo $TEST
 for i in 2 3 4 ; do
   TEST=$i
   echo $TEST
 done
)
echo $TEST

More info on variable scope here:
Subshells

Last edited by Autocross.US; 12-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: clarity

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable becomes local

I have encountered a very weird behavior of a global variable in Korn Shell in AIX: A function f1 in my script pipes the output of the function f2 to a program. A variable defined as global using typeset gets its value in f2. That value is not seen in f1. If I remove the pipe ksh recognizes the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odashe318
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in a script?

How to create a Global variable within a script file. say i want a varaible called LOGFILE to be used within all the script. how to do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable in awk

I wrote a awk script file and define some global variables after BEGIN option: BEGIN { cell = ""; alarm = "";} when i run the command: awk -f awk_script inputfile The results are as expected. But when I put awk script into a shell script. Global variables couldn't be understand. I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable not being set

In ksh I thought a global variable was any variable in a script or function that did not have the typeset command. I have a global in my calling script which I increment in a function, but the value does not change in the calling script. Here is the code: function f_open_log { typeset -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotball
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Holding a variable unto other scripts.

Ex: Script 1 has pID=333. I want to take pID to Script 2 so I can retrive 333. How can I do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract days from a variable holding date

Hi, could someone help on this.. I have a date in variable procdate="05/30/2009" I would want to Subtract it with 3 or 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies
Apache::TestMM(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Apache::TestMM(3)

NAME
Apache::TestMM - Provide MakeMaker Wrapper Methods SYNOPSIS
require Apache::TestMM; # import MY::test and MY::clean overrides for MM Apache::TestMM->import(qw(test clean)); # parse command line args Apache::TestMM::filter_args(); # autogenerate the script Apache::TestMM::generate_script('t/TEST'); DESCRIPTION
"Apache::TestMM" provides wrappers for the "ExtUtils::MakeMaker" craft, making it easier to extend the autogenerated Makefile with "Apache::Test". FUNCTIONS
"import" use Apache::TestMM qw(test clean); or: Apache::TestMM->import(qw(test clean)); Imports "MY::" overrides for the default "ExtUtils::MakeMaker" test and clean targets, as if you have defined: sub MY::test {...} sub MY::clean {...} in Makefile.PL. "Apache::TestMM" does this for you so that these Makefile targets will run the Apache server and the tests for it, and clean up after its mess. "filter_args" push @ARGV, '-apxs', $apxs_path; Apache::TestMM::filter_args(); WriteMakefile(...); When "WriteMakefile()" is called it parses @ARGV, hoping to find special options like "PREFIX=/home/stas/perl". "Apache::Test" accepts a lot of configuration options of its own. When "Apache::TestMM::filter_args()" is called, it removes any "Apache::Test"-specific options from @ARGV and stores them internally, so when "WriteMakefile()" is called they aren't in @ARGV and thus won't be processed by "WriteMakefile()". The options can be set when Makefile.PL is called: % perl Makefile.PL -apxs /path/to/apxs Or you can push them manually to @ARGV from the code: push @ARGV, '-apxs', $apxs_path; When: Apache::TestMM::generate_script('t/TEST'); is called, "Apache::Test"-specific options extracted by "Apache::TestMM::filter_args()" are written to the autogenerated file. In our example, the autogenerated t/TEST will include: %Apache::TestConfig::Argv = qw(apxs /path/to/apxs); which is going to be used by the "Apache::Test" runtime. The other frequently used options are: "-httpd", telling where to find the httpd (usually when the "-apxs" option is not used), "-libmodperl" to use a specific mod_perl shared object (if your mod_perl is built as DSO), "-maxclients" to change the default number of the configured "MaxClients" directive, "-port" to start the server on a specific port, etc. To get the complete list of available configuration options and their purpose and syntax, run: % perl -MApache::TestConfig -le 'Apache::TestConfig::usage()' You may wish to document some of these in your application's README file, especially the "-apxs" and "-httpd" options. "generate_script" Apache::TestMM::generate_script('t/TEST'); "generate_script()" accepts the name of the script to generate and will look for a template with the same name and suffix .PL. So in our example it'll look for t/TEST.PL. The autogenerated script t/TEST will include the contents of t/TEST.PL, and special directives, including any configuration options passed via "filter_args()" called from Makefile.PL, special fixup code, etc. perl v5.18.2 2015-06-18 Apache::TestMM(3)