Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep and delete lines except the lines with strings Post 302268832 by vj8436 on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 11:23:31 AM
Old 12-16-2008
Grep and delete lines except the lines with strings

Hi

I am writing a script which should read a file and search for certain strings 'approved' or 'removed' and retain only those lines that contain the above strings.

Ex: file name 'test'
test:
Code:
approved package
waiting for approval package
disapproved package
removed package
approved package
approved package

Here i need to delete all the lines except those that contain either 'approved' or 'removed'.

How can i do that.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 04-20-2009 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK see the upper lines and lower lines of the strings??

Hi experts, You cool guys already given me the awk script below- awk '/9366109380/,printed==5 { ++printed; print; }' 2008-09-14.0.log Morever, i have one more things- when i awk 9366109380, i can also see the Upper 3 lines as well as below 5 lines of that string. Line 1.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a string in the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi , Please help me with the following problem: I have an xml file with the following lines <cisco:name> <cisco:mdNm>Cisco Device 7500 A Series</cisco:mdNm> <cisco:meNm>10.1.100.19</cisco:meNm> <cisco:ehNm>/shelf=1</cisco:ehNm> <cisco:subname> <cisco:sptp>Cisco PortA... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagirathi
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get lines started with matched strings using sed or grep for loop?

I have a huge file and want to separate it into several subsets. The file looks like: C1 C2 C3 C4 ... (variable names) 1 .... 2 .... 3 .... : 22 .... 23 .... I want to separate the huge file using the column 1, which has numbers from 1 to 23 (but there are different amount of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMBER
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with duplicate strings based on date

Hey all, a relative bash/script newbie trying solve a problem. I've got a text file with lots of lines that I've been able to clean up and format with awk/sed/cut, but now I'd like to remove the lines with duplicate usernames based on time stamp. Here's what the data looks like 2007-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattv
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines starting with these strings

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I have text file called myapplication.log . In this file, I have around 800 lines which start with the followng three strings PWRBRKER-3493 PWRBRKER-7834 SCHEDULER-ERROR How can I delete these lines in one go ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
13 Replies
depend(4)							   File Formats 							 depend(4)

NAME
depend - software dependencies file DESCRIPTION
depend is an ASCII file used to specify information concerning software dependencies for a particular package. The file is created by a software developer. Each entry in the depend file describes a single software package. The instance of the package is described after the entry line by giving the package architecture and/or version. The format of each entry and subsequent instance definition is: type pkg name (arch)version (arch)version ... The fields are: type Defines the dependency type. Must be one of the following characters: P Indicates a prerequisite for installation; for example, the referenced package or versions must be installed. I Implies that the existence of the indicated package or version is incompatible. R Indicates a reverse dependency. Instead of defining the package's own dependencies, this designates that another package depends on this one. This type should be used only when an old package does not have a depend file, but relies on the newer package nonetheless. Therefore, the present package should not be removed if the designated old package is still on the system since, if it is removed, the old package will no longer work. pkg Indicates the package abbreviation. name Specifies the full package name. (arch)version Specifies a particular instance of the software. A version name cannot begin with a left parenthesis. The instance speci- fications, both (arch) and version, are completely optional, but each (arch)version pair must begin on a new line that begins with white space. A null version set equates to any version of the indicated package. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Sample of depend file Here are the contents of a sample depend file, for the SUNWftpr (FTP Server) package, stored in /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWftpr/install: P SUNWcar Core Architecture, (Root) P SUNWkvm Core Architecture, (Kvm) P SUNWcsr Core Solaris, (Root) P SUNWcsu Core Solaris, (Usr) P SUNWcsd Core Solaris Devices P SUNWcsl Core Solaris Libraries R SUNWftpu FTP Server, (Usr) SEE ALSO
pkginfo(4) Application Packaging Developer's Guide SunOS 5.11 4 Oct 1996 depend(4)