Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Defining EDITOR Variable - Tru64 Post 302268312 by vbe on Monday 15th of December 2008 10:59:59 AM
Old 12-15-2008
EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacs;export EDITOR (but is it installed there? you should have xemacs...)

Last edited by vbe; 12-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: corrections

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining a variable as a number or character?

I am writing a script that needs to accept numbers into a variable by prompting and using the code read num case $num in 000) break ;; *) I am fairly new to unix and am loving the versatility of the language but need a little shove in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobian
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to set path for the EDITOR variable?

For some reason something has changing in my AIX environment where when I type: ACLEDIT filename ...I get: 3002-104 acledit: EDITOR environment variable must be full pathname I know I need to reset the EDITOR variables path to /usr/bin/vi but I can't remember the syntax anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to dereference the variable in sed editor

Hi I am trying to do the substitution using the 'sed' editor. In the line below I am trying to substitute all instances of XXX by the value of the variable PX sed 's/XXX/${PX}/g' ${TEMPLETE} > ${TEMPLETE}.${PX} The problem is that 'sed' editor takes ${PX} literary (without retrieving the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining a variable using multiple "entries/columns" within a line using read

Hello All, I am trying to figure out how to use the read command. I have a txt file that has rows looking something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 where each number represents an entry of various characters deliminated by tabs. My goal is to set entries 2-7 as a variable/string that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torinator
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining variable in .profile

In root dir i have created a .profile file and added variable and assigned a path to it: a = '/dir/dir' export a but when i echo (echo $a) the path or use this variable the value or path not getting displayed. i tried executing the .profile and logging out and logging in, didnt workout. am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with defining PATH

Hi All, I have a trivial question but I dont know how to solve it. So basically I'm working on a USB key and I have a directory with some scripts which I use to work on files present in other directories within the USB or sometimes on the main harddisk too. The problem is every time I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining variable problem

Hi I'd say I'm having this weird problem where my script isn't taking the value off a variable or printing it. My code is like this: set count_C= `grep -c C mols` set count_H= `grep -c H mols` set count_O= `grep -c O mols` sed -i '7,7 s/$/ $count_C $count_O $count_H/g' input It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
8 Replies
SCAN_FFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SCAN_FFS(8)

NAME
scan_ffs, scan_lfs -- find FFSv1/FFSv2/LFS partitions on a disk or file SYNOPSIS
scan_ffs [-blv] [-e end] [-F file] [-s start] device DESCRIPTION
scan_ffs will take a raw disk device that covers the whole disk or a file and will find all possible FFSv[12]/LFS partitions, independent of block sizes on it. It will show the file system type (FFSv1, FFSv2, or LFS), size, and offset. Also it has an option to show the values with a disklabel-alike output. The options are as follows: -b Report every superblock found with its sector address, rather than trying to report the partition boundaries. This option can be useful to find the other superblocks in a partition if the first superblock has become corrupted. It is most useful if device refers to the raw device for the partition, rather than the entire disk. -e end Where to stop searching for file systems. The end argument specifies the last sector that will be searched. Default is the last sector of device. -F file Path to a file containing possible partitions inside of it. -l Print out a string looking much like the input to disklabel. With a little massaging, this output can usually be used by disklabel(8). -s start Where to start searching for file systems. This makes it easier to skip swap partitions or other large non-UFS/FFS partitions. The start argument specifies the first sector that will be searched. Default is the first sector of device. -v Be verbose about what scan_ffs is doing, and what has been found. The device argument specifies which device scan_ffs should scan for file systems. scan_lfs is just another name for the same program, both behave in exactly the same way. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8) HISTORY
The scan_ffs program first appeared in OpenBSD 2.3 and then in NetBSD 3.1. Support for searching in files was added in NetBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
scan_ffs was written for OpenBSD by Niklas Hallqvist and Tobias Weingartner. It was ported to NetBSD by Juan Romero Pardines, who added sup- port for LFS/FFSv2, partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 2048/16384 for FFSv1, searching on files, etc. BUGS
Currently scan_ffs won't find partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 8192/65536. BSD
May 1, 2007 BSD