Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help to deal with empty string Post 302267417 by matrixmadhan on Friday 12th of December 2008 09:55:02 AM
Old 12-12-2008
that should be within the for loop
Code:
for i in `<some_command>`
do
cat $i | grep -q "search_string"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo "search_string found"
else
echo "search_string not found"
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for null or empty string

Hi, I need to check for value not equal (<>) to 21 and not equal empty or null values. Please modify this script if then echo "$VALUE,$BSC_NAME,$BSC_ID" > $OUT_FILE/power_up.out end if TQ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doer
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for empty string

Hello All, I have written shell script whcih at the max 3 parameters. When only one commandline argument and other two command line arguments are passed as empty string like eg : archive ' ' ' ' Then i need to check whether the commandline... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initializing empty string with spaces

Hi, I want to Initialize a String with 50 spaces. I can do that by ex: Var1=" " But i dont want to do in this way? Is there any unix command where i can specify no of spaces to a varaible? like space(50) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shiv_18
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check to see if string var is empty

i have a veriable set var1 set var2 = abcd how can i check if var 1 is empty and if var 2 is not empty ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnir26
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace empty string on particular column

Hi I would like to replace empty string with a particluar value, any suggessions with awk ? my input file is not delimited with any delimiters input 52001073M8000000004567777 5200107 000000004567778 5200107 000000004567779 52001073M8000000004567789 Expected output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : how to match non-empty string that has no spaces

Hi Everyone, I am looking for neat way to grep a non-empty string that basically contains a hostname, which might be in FWDN form or without the domain, for example: hostname.internal.domainname.net The file I am parsing contains blan lines (^$) and also series of "-" which in other places... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: togr
2 Replies

7. Programming

Checking not empty string

I have a string s Are the following equivalent? if ( ! s.empty() ) { } if ( s ) { } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if the string is empty

I am reading from a file and executing the jobs with/without parameters as the job requires. File job1 R job2 job3 Y 123 if then <job>.ksh else <job>.ksh $params fi This works fine if the line read from the file has parameters it executes like job1.ksh R But for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check empty string in an XML tag?

I have an XML tag <abc> which is empty as <abc></abc>.If the the tag is empty I want to flag the file as bad. Please help. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneeta13
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant check empty string

Hello So i have that script collection, in which i have a single script to create a configuration file. In there, i have multiple occourences of something like this: prj_title=$(tui-read "What is the TITLE? ($prj_name):") ] && prj_title="${prj_name/_/ }" They all work as expected, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)