Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Audio support for clamshell iBook - Xubuntu Hardy Heron Post 302266785 by Astrochess on Thursday 11th of December 2008 04:00:10 AM
Old 12-11-2008
Audio support for clamshell iBook - Xubuntu Hardy Heron

I am not able to hear any audio on my G3 iBook. What should I do to get it working?

When I hit the volume keys with or without Fn, nothing happens, except I hear the HDD clicking. Same for the mute key. The sound pref panel displays the built-in device as an audio out, but I get no other options - nothing for controlling the volume, even.

I tried googling for an answer, but nothing came up.

The machine is an original clamshell iBook:
300 Mhz G3
576 MiB RAM
6GB HDD
Xubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04
Kernel version 2.6.24

Last edited by Astrochess; 12-11-2008 at 05:12 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Benchmarks

iBook G3

Notes CPU/Speed: PPC750FX, 700 MHz Ram: 640 MB Motherboard: iBook (2001) Bus: 133 MHz Cache: 64 KB L1, 512 KB L2 Controller: Apple Disk: 20 MB Toshiba Load: 1 user Kernel: Mac OS X 10.3.2 Kernel ELF?: No pgms: gcc 3.3 (Apple) options: -O3... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcarr
0 Replies

2. Slackware

Problems with audio recording in Audacity 2.0.5. Slackware64 14.1; Intel HD Audio.

I'm trying to record audio using Audacity 2.0.5 installed from SlackBuilds. My system is 64-bit Slackware 14.1 and a sound card is Intel HD Audio. I didn't change my sound system to OSS. (Default sound system in Slackware 14.1 is ALSA, isn't it?) First, I set Internal Microphone slider in KMix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzxcvbnm
2 Replies
play(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   play(1)

NAME
play - play any sound file to audio device rec - record audio to any sound file format SYNOPSIS
play [fopts] infile [effect] rec [fopts] outfile [effect] DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the play and rec commands. play and rec are programs that allow you to play and record different types of sound files from the command line. They are front ends to the more general sox(1) package. Normally, the play command will automatically detect the type and other parameters of the soundfile. If it can't do so, the parameters can be changed through options. OPTIONS
A summary of common options are included below. For a complete description of options and their values, see the sox(1) man page. -c [channels], --channels=[channels] Define the number of channels in the file. -d [device], --device=[device] Specify a different device to play the sound file to. -f [format], --format=[format] Specify bit format of the sample. One of s, u, U, A, a, or g. -r [rate], --rate=[rate] Specify the sample rate of the audio data (samples per second). -s [size], --size=[size] Specify the width of each sample. One of b, w, l, f, d, or D. -t [type], --type=[type] Specify audio file format to use. Useful if it can not be automatically determined. -v [volume], --volume=[volume] Change the audio volume -x , --xinu Reverse the byte order of the sample (only works with 16 and 32-bit data). -h, --help Show summary of options. --version Show version of play/rec. Description of effects are described in the sox(1) man page. SEE ALSO
sox(1) soxexam(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Guenter Geiger <geiger@iem.mhsg.ac.at>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Updates by Anonymous. December 11, 2001 play(1)