Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Special accounting information Post 302266496 by descentspb on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 10:33:05 AM
Old 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
I know accounting a bit from the AIX side where it is used in our case to check which department used how much resources and is billed by that.
If you are going to sort out performance problems, you might want to start with vmstat, top, ps, iostat etc.
Maybe you check the net for nmon for example. There are different tools available.

What OS are you using?
System log analysis showed, that the free memory ended.
I know that the acct daemon provides SOME info, but not the one I need (how much memory the process consumed at a given time)
The OS is Linux (Debian Etch).

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

utmp ACCOUNTING

the utmp.h ACCOUNTING macro is set to 9 on my system. my question is: what "accounting" is it referring to? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accounting Process

Hi, I need to know , if there is some routine like a function "accton" to accounting process for HP-UX, because I need accounting the command executed for users and is necesary that include the argumments of command but the file "paccton" generated for function "accton" doesn't include them. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvazquez
0 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

System Accounting

How do I enable System Accounting on Solaris 8? In Solaris 7 I would copy the /usr/lib/acct file to S22acct and start it like that. That doesn't seem to be an option in Solaris 8. Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process accounting

When i run #acctadm command it shows it as inactive but /var/adm/pacct file has todays date such as -rw-r--r-- 1 adm adm 182397160 Mar 25 15:48 pacct # acctadm Task accounting: inactive Task accounting file: none Tracked task resources: none Untracked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Accounting Software

GNUCash - There is documented problem with auto-fill; ie, that it cannot be turned off. It will delete 1/2 of a transaction. I have searched the internet and have not been able to make any of the "work arounds" work. I have also contacted the email lists, to no avail. This is open source,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
acct(2) 							   System Calls 							   acct(2)

NAME
acct - enable or disable process accounting SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int acct(const char *path); DESCRIPTION
The acct() function enables or disables the system process accounting routine. If the routine is enabled, an accounting record will be written in an accounting file for each process that terminates. The termination of a process can be caused by either an exit(2) call or a signal(3C)). The effective user ID of the process calling acct() must have the appropriate privileges. The path argument points to the pathname of the accounting file, whose file format is described on the acct.h(3HEAD) manual page. The accounting routine is enabled if path is non-zero and no errors occur during the function. It is disabled if path is (char *)NULL and no errors occur during the function. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The acct() function will fail if: EACCES The file named by path is not an ordinary file. EBUSY An attempt is being made to enable accounting using the same file that is currently being used. EFAULT The path argument points to an illegal address. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the path argument exceeds {PATH_MAX}, or the length of a path argument exceeds {NAME_MAX} while _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is in effect. ENOENT One or more components of the accounting file pathname do not exist. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix is not a directory. EPERM The {PRIV_SYS_ACCT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. EROFS The named file resides on a read-only file system. SEE ALSO
exit(2), acct.h(3HEAD), signal(3C), privileges(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Jan 2003 acct(2)