Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove special characters from text using PERL Post 302266452 by zaxxon on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 08:19:04 AM
Old 12-10-2008
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

$a = "abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@";
$a =~ s/[^a-zA-Z0-9]*//g;

print $a . "\n";

will produce

Code:
abcdefbbwkkdbcd

This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from string

Hi there, I'd like to write a script that removes any set of character from any string. The first argument would be the string, the second argument would be the characters to remove. For example: $ myscript "My name's Santiago. What's yours?" "atu" My nme's Snigo. Wh's yors? I wrote the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Remove Special Characters

Dear Members, We have a file which contains some special characters. I need to replace these special character by a new line character(\n). The Special character is \x85. I am not sure what this character means and how we can remove it. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the special characters from field

Hi, In source data few of columns are having special charates(like *) due to this i am not able to display the data into flat file.it's displaying the some of junk data into the flat file. source dataExample: Address1="XDERFTG * HYJUYTG" how to remove the special charates in a string (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expression to remove the special characters

I had a string in perl script as below. Tue Augáá7 03:54:12 2012 Now I need to replace the special character with space. After removing the special chaacters Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012 Could anyone please help me here for writing the regular expression? Thanks in advance.. Regards, GS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - remove special characters

Hi, I have a file with this line, it's always in the first line: I want to remove these special characters: ´╗┐ file1 ´╗┐\\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35 Bytes;2 ;1 I want the same file to be only \\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters?

Hi Gurus, I have file which contains some unicode charachator like "ü". I want to replace it with some charactors. I searched in internet and got command sed "s/ü/-/g", but I don't know how to type ü in unix command line. Please help me for this one. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies
lssf(1M)																  lssf(1M)

NAME
lssf - list a special file SYNOPSIS
special_file ... special_file DESCRIPTION
In the first form, lists information about a special file. For each special_file name, determines the major number of the special file and whether it is block or character (using It then scans the system for the device that is associated with the special file. When the device is found, the minor number of the special file is decoded. A mnemonic description of the minor number is printed on standard output along with the hardware path (in other words, address) of the device. Mnemonics used to describe the fields are closely related to the options used with (see mksf(1M)). In the second form, displays the list of stale device special files present in selected directories under the directory. In the third form, executes a Critical Resource Analysis (CRA) on the Options recognizes the following options: Displays the Critical Resource Analysis (CRA) of Displays the stale device special files present in the directories below, which contain special files for mass storage devices. The stale device special files correspond to nodes that have an entry in the system I/O configuration files but the corresponding device is not found. The device special files can either be legacy or persistent (see intro(7)). DIAGNOSTICS
Most diagnostic messages from are self explanatory. Listed below are some messages deserving further clarification. Warnings allow to continue. Warnings There is no information about the device in the kernel. The special file is not usable. Use to remove the special file (see rmsf(1M)). The major number associated with the special file is not in the kernel. Use to add the appropriate driver to the kernel (see kcmodule(1M)). The indicated device driver or device class is not present in the kernel. An of a special file pointing to an unusable device fails. To make the device usable, the appro- priate device driver and/or device class must be added to the kernel using If the device is no longer needed, should be used to remove the special files and update the system I/O configuration files. The file is not associated with an IO device. EXAMPLES
Suppose a special file is created with the command The command then produces: Suppose a special file is created with the command The command then produces: Display stale device special files: Display Critical Resource Analysis information for /dev/disk/disk7: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
I/O system special file I/O system configuration database I/O system configuration database SEE ALSO
insf(1M), kcmodule(1M), mksf(1M), rmsf(1M), intro(7). lssf(1M)