Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Special accounting information Post 302266083 by descentspb on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 11:03:02 AM
Old 12-09-2008
Special accounting information

I need to figure out why did the system run out of memory and hung at a certain time. For further investigation, the info about every processes' CPU and memory consumption over time would be of high value.
I see, that Unix accounting may be of some help. But I'm not sure if I can get this particular info from it (memory consumption by certain process at a certain time).

After studying some docs on the acct daemon, and it's usage, it seems that it does not log the kind of information I need.

Is there any way to do that without writing the soft or script myself?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

utmp ACCOUNTING

the utmp.h ACCOUNTING macro is set to 9 on my system. my question is: what "accounting" is it referring to? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accounting Process

Hi, I need to know , if there is some routine like a function "accton" to accounting process for HP-UX, because I need accounting the command executed for users and is necesary that include the argumments of command but the file "paccton" generated for function "accton" doesn't include them. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvazquez
0 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

System Accounting

How do I enable System Accounting on Solaris 8? In Solaris 7 I would copy the /usr/lib/acct file to S22acct and start it like that. That doesn't seem to be an option in Solaris 8. Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process accounting

When i run #acctadm command it shows it as inactive but /var/adm/pacct file has todays date such as -rw-r--r-- 1 adm adm 182397160 Mar 25 15:48 pacct # acctadm Task accounting: inactive Task accounting file: none Tracked task resources: none Untracked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Accounting Software

GNUCash - There is documented problem with auto-fill; ie, that it cannot be turned off. It will delete 1/2 of a transaction. I have searched the internet and have not been able to make any of the "work arounds" work. I have also contacted the email lists, to no avail. This is open source,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
acctprc(1M)															       acctprc(1M)

NAME
acctprc, acctprc1, acctprc2 - process accounting SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
reads input in the form described by acct(4), adds login names corresponding to user IDs, then writes for each process an ASCII line giving user ID, login name, prime CPU time (tics), non-prime CPU time (tics), and mean memory size (in memory segment units). If is given, it is expected to contain a list of login sessions in the form described in acctcon(1M), sorted by user ID and login name. If this file is not supplied, it obtains login names from the password file. The information in helps it distinguish among different login names that share the same user ID. reads records in the form written by summarizes them by user ID and name, then writes the sorted summaries to the standard output as total accounting records. combines the functionality of and into one program. It takes the same input format as (but does not accept the ctmp argument) and writes the same output as These commands are typically used as shown below: or EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables For the output of if the user IDs are identical, determines the order in which the user names are sorted. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C'' (see environ(5)). WARNINGS
Although it is possible to distinguish among login names that share user IDs for commands run normally, it is difficult to do this for those commands run from for example (see cron(1M)). More precise conversion can be done by faking login sessions on the console via the program in acct(1M). A memory segment of the mean memory size is a unit of measure for the number of bytes in a logical memory segment on a particular proces- sor. The mean memory size may overflow for values greater than FILES
SEE ALSO
acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctsh(1M), cron(1M), fwtmp(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
acctprc(1M)