Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command substitution with tcsh Post 302265885 by Special_K on Monday 8th of December 2008 05:05:38 PM
Old 12-08-2008
command substitution with tcsh

I was trying to modify my .cshrc file so that the full path would always be displayed in my command prompt. After doing a search, I was able to accomplish this by adding these lines to my .cshrc file:

Code:
alias	 setprompt    'set prompt="%/% "'
setprompt

alias    cd           'chdir \!* && setprompt'
alias    pushd        'pushd \!* && setprompt'
alias    popd         'popd \!* && setprompt'

What exactly are the "\!*" characters doing (without the quotes)? I did some searching and know it has something to do with command substitution, but can anyone tell me exactly what that sequence of characters means?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution of last command

"Is there any substituation of last command or script syntax which can be used as a user. As far I know the "last" command is being used to display information about previous logins. A member of adm group or the user adm can execute it only. Thanks in advance for your usual help. Ghazi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghazi
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tcsh read command ......?

i have just started to use the tcsh shell as a sort of personal challenge since I see so many users using other shells than just bash... I have written a spcript that is quite lengthy but it is in bash shell and gives an error message in tcsh shell so I cut the script in half and basically... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning (numeric) command output to var tcsh

Hello, I'm trying to assign a numeric value that is returned from one of my programs to a variable in tcsh. I want to do: @ r10 = './my_prog file 35' where ./my_prog file 35 returns a decimal value, but this doesn't work. How do I achieve the desired result? Janet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psran
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at crontab tcsh setenv: command not found

i have written a script "master.shell" which is in the path: /a/homes.surrey.ac.uk/pgt_fs_002/bl00001/phd/griddata/shell/master.shell ==================================== #/usr/local/bin/tcsh setenv GLOBUS_LOCATION /grid/software/globus3 setenv PATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running zsh command in tcsh

Hi all is there a way to run zsh commands in a tcsh shell thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding command substitution

Oracle Linux 5.6, 64-bit Given the following snippet wrkvar=`sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF set echo off feedback off head off trimsp on select count(*) from v\$parameter where name in ('db_file_name_convert','log_file_name_convert') and value is not null; EOF` echo wrkvar=$wrkvarProduces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcsh command for assigning output of awk to variable

Hi I have a text file with 2 values and I am trying to assign each value to a variable and then write those to text files. So if the textfile is data.txt with 2 values x and y I want to assign mean=x, and stdev=y and then write these out in text files alongwith the id ($id has already been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: violin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh script - sed command for special characters

Hi, I am using sed command to replace following line in gz file- sed -n 's/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 1101110101001001010011110100000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 110111010100100101001111MM00000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/g' filename.gz $x=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
Tcl_SubstObj(3) 					      Tcl Library Procedures						   Tcl_SubstObj(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_SubstObj - perform substitutions on Tcl objects SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_Obj * Tcl_SubstObj(interp, objPtr, flags) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which to execute Tcl scripts and lookup variables. If an error occurs, the interpreter's result is modified to hold an error message. Tcl_Obj *objPtr (in) A Tcl object containing the string to perform substitutions on. int flags (in) ORed combination of flag bits that specify which substitutions to perform. The flags TCL_SUBST_COM- MANDS, TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES and TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES are currently supported, and TCL_SUBST_ALL is pro- vided as a convenience for the common case where all substitutions are desired. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Tcl_SubstObj function is used to perform substitutions on strings in the fashion of the subst command. It gets the value of the string contained in objPtr and scans it, copying characters and performing the chosen substitutions as it goes to an output object which is returned as the result of the function. In the event of an error occurring during the execution of a command or variable substitution, the function returns NULL and an error message is left in interp's result. Three kinds of substitutions are supported. When the TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like backslash substi- tutions for Tcl commands are replaced by their corresponding character. When the TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like variable substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the con- tents of the named variable. When the TCL_SUBST_COMMANDS bit is set in flags, sequences that look like command substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the result of evaluating that script. Where an uncaught "continue exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, an empty string is substituted for the command. Where an uncaught "break exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, the result of the whole substitution on objPtr will be truncated at the point immediately before the start of the command substitution, and no characters will be added to the result or substitutions performed after that point. SEE ALSO
subst(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 8.4 Tcl_SubstObj(3)