Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: usage of underscore in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting usage of underscore in awk Post 302265643 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Monday 8th of December 2008 05:18:15 AM
Old 12-08-2008
usage of underscore in awk

Hi what is the purpose of using underscore in awk. I suppose it is for defining macro's and reducing repeatation but can some one show me an example?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

2. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/awk usage

Hi everybody, i know this question is common on the forum and i've searched for my answer but haven't quite found it. I'm trying to extract some values from a number of log files which look like this: Peak Power Consumption: 0.20777 Watts Observed Average Power: 0.1414794247 Watts The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aKiiY
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk FS usage problem

Hi All, I have a question about the usage of FS in awk and i appreciate if you can help me sort out what i'm doing wrong. I have a file with info ; separated and i just want to print the o/p of all fields ($1 -> $8) to the screen. As you can see it is very simple but i'm facing an error. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using of gsub function in AWK to replace space by underscore

I must design a UNIX script to monitor files whose size is over a threshold of 5 MB in a specific UNIX directory I meet a problem during the for loop in my script. Some file names contain spaces. ls -lrt | awk '$5>=5000000 && length($8)==5 {gsub(/ /,"_",$9); print};' -rw-r--r-- 1 was61 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scofield38
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, function of underscore char.

Hello Friends, I would appreciate so much if you could explain how the underscores works at the following code? Sorry if it sounds a bit novice question. awk -F',' 'NR==FNR{_=1;next}!_{print}' exclude infile KR, Eagle (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of Int with NR in awk

Hello Everyone, I am new to awk and trying my hand with the diff codes and came across the below code today. It would be great if any of the Guru's help me to understand. awk '{filename = "sample_file" int((NR-1)/34) ".DAT"; print >> filename}' sample_file.DAT 34 is the no of lines each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saratha14
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk - Disk usage

Hi All, Would appreciate your help as to why the following code not showing the correct output. the issue is on the last else cause. I am trying to report on disk space based on percentage usage. for some reason, it's showing output as OK even thou disk space is 90% !!!! any ideas why? thanks!!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcod3r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk usage

Hi I have a file like this user="joe" phone="4280919" duration=128 login=12/02/2016 ip-address=10.230.120.35 user="mary" phone="6352728" duration=23 login=16/02/2016 ip-address=10.123.231.54 I have to convert these to as follows (csv format) (Ignore Login field)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split after second underscore in field

I am trying to split a tab-delimeted file using awk after the second _ in bold. The awk below is close but splits on the first _, and I am not sure how to use the second _. Thank you :). file chr1 92145889 92149424 NM_001195684_exon_0_10_chr1_92145900_r 0 - chr1 92161218 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
AMPLOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMPLOT(8)

NAME
amplot - visualize the behavior of Amanda SYNOPSIS
amplot [ -c ] [ -e ] [ -g ] [ -l ] [ -p ] [ -t T ] amdump_files DESCRIPTION
Amplot reads an amdump output file that Amanda generates each run (e.g. amdump.1) and translates the information into a picture format that may be used to determine how your installation is doing and if any parameters need to be changed. Amplot also prints out amdump lines that it either does not understand or knows to be warning or error lines and a summary of the start, end and total time for each backup image. Amplot is a shell script that executes an awk program (amplot.awk) to scan the amdump output file. It then executes a gnuplot program (amplot.g) to generate the graph. The awk program is written in an enhanced version of awk, such as GNU awk (gawk version 2.15 or later) or nawk. During execution, amplot generates a few temporary files that gnuplot uses. These files are deleted at the end of execution. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
-c Compress amdump_files after plotting. -e Extend the X (time) axis if needed. -g Direct gnuplot output directly to the X11 display (default). -p Direct postscript output to file YYYYMMDD.ps (opposite of -g). -l Generate landscape oriented output. -t T Set the right edge of the plot to be T hours. The amdump_files may be in various compressed formats (compress, gzip, pact, compact). INTERPRETATION
The figure is divided into a number of regions. There are titles on the top that show important statistical information about the configu- ration and from this execution of amdump. In the figure, the X axis is time, with 0 being the moment amdump was started. The Y axis is divided into 5 regions: QUEUES: How many backups have not been started, how many are waiting on space in the holding disk and how many have been transferred successfully to tape. %BANDWIDTH: Percentage of allowed network bandwidth in use. HOLDING DISK: The higher line depicts space allocated on the holding disk to backups in progress and completed backups waiting to be written to tape. The lower line depicts the fraction of the holding disk containing completed backups waiting to be written to tape including the file currently being written to tape. The scale is percentage of the holding disk. TAPE: Tape drive usage. %DUMPERS: Percentage of active dumpers. The idle period at the left of the graph is time amdump is asking the machines how much data they are going to dump. This process can take a while if hosts are down or it takes them a long time to generate estimates. AUTHOR
Olafur Gudmundsson ogud@tis.com Trusted Information Systems formerly at University of Maryland, College Park BUGS
Reports lines it does not recognize, mainly error cases but some are legitimate lines the program needs to be taught about. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8), gawk(1), nawk(1), awk(1), gnuplot(1), sh(1), compress(1), gzip(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution AMPLOT(8)