Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbering a Text File
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numbering a Text File Post 302265529 by yongitz on Sunday 7th of December 2008 10:20:06 PM
Old 12-07-2008
For simplicity you might want to try the cat command.

Code:
cat -b filename

or if you want to stick with your code just add the command before the while command.
Code:
grep -v '^$' filename

to delete all blank lines.

or
Code:
grep -v '^$' filename |cat -b

it may however depends of how large your file is. Hope this helps.

Last edited by yongitz; 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering!

Just a shot question... how to make 1,2,3,...999 into the form of 001,002,003....999 (3 digits) Thanks.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglemon
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: minazk
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: minazk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

numbering each line in a text file

I have a simple text file. I want to number each line in that file . for example: My text file is unix my file test My output should be 1 unix 2 my file 3 test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ghostscript output file numbering?

I am using ghostscript to convert a multi-page pdf file to individual jpg files. I am wondering if there is a way to get ghostscript to start numbering the output jpg files from zero? What i am trying to convey is that it starts naming my files from page_001.jpg, page_002.jpg, etc., and would like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with numbering a file

Hi, All I need to do is number a file. The file looks like this > JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ > JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ > MMMMYKKKJKKK what I want to do is number it so that theres a numerical value beside the >. >1 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ >2 JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering file's lines

hey a file called test : Code: hey1 hey2 hey3 ........ how to : Code: 1.hey1 2.hey2 3.hey3 .......... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbering lines in a file

if we execute :set nu in vi mode, it displays the line numbers. so how to make this permanently in a file. Whenever i execute cat , the line numbers should be there. please help me. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk changing numbering in output file

The below awk is supposed filter $8 of example.txt using the each line in gene.txt. I think it is but why is it renumbering the 1,2,3 in $1 to 28,29,394? I have attached the data as it is large, example.txt is the file to be searched, gene.txt has the lines to match, and filtered.txt is the current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)