Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File modification history
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File modification history Post 302264990 by mk1216 on Friday 5th of December 2008 09:56:35 AM
Old 12-05-2008
File modification history

Can anyone please suggest an alternate command for "stat" . I am trying this on Solaris 5.9 , but the command doesn't exist.

Basically i need to see one particalar file modification history. Any help is appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File modification

Dear all, i have a file which contains this lines. 0-0 CC=1 0-01 0-011 0-0111 0-01110 F=500 CC=1 L=15 M=5 TRD=3948... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Modification history for Crontab

Hi all - I've searched the forums and seen a few questions related, but nothing which explicitly answers what I'm looking for. I need to know if there's ANY way to get the modification history of any users crontab. Yes, I know that crontabs are in /var/spool/cron. I know that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcq
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to track the modification history on file in unix

How do we track the modification history on a file in UNIX. IS there any command or any script that we could run. Many Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSPDaemon
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the file modification time of a file on nfs mount point

Hi I am accessing a file on nfs mounted device, after completing using of the file, i am tring to restore the access time and modification times of the file. So i got the previous modified time of the file using stat() function and trying to set the date and time for the file, To set these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Command for checking modification history on file

What is the command for checking modification history on file? ---------- Post updated at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:35 PM ---------- Let me rephrase this. On a regular Unix file can I at least check to see the time and date history modification of the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file modification

Hi, I have a file test.txt . The contain of the file is as below : 365798~SAPUS~PR5~0000799005~ADM CHARG MEDCAL INS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SLAC480 I want to modify this file. And file contain loking like "365798"~"SAPUS"~"PR5"~"0000799005"~"ADM CHARG MEDCAL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for File Modification

Hi All, I have a file. This file contain huge amount of data. I want to modify this file. I want enter new line when count of "~ character is 79. Please find below the code : cat file_name | tr -d '\n' | sed... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Modification

Hi, I have a file input.txt. cat input.txt output is as follows : Code: "0001"~"name"~"bb"~"20.25"~""~""~"0002"~"name" "dd"~"35.50"~"" ~""~"0003"~"name"~"aa"~"21.3 5"~""~""~ I want the output looking like: cat output.txt Code: "0001"~"name"~"bb"~"20.25"~""~""~... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)